Holy C***!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mandelyn, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    OH.MY.GOD.

I was just outside with the chickens, sitting in my chair, fresh egg in my pocket.

Rooster sounds the hawk alarm... odd... since the Blue Jays, Crows, and Squirrels said nothing. Not a word! I look up to try to see it, since it's normal for one to circle around once or twice.

I'll da**** if that sucker didn't pop up from the other side of the 6ft fence and swoop into the yard some 10 feet from me!!!!! The chickens all screamed bloody murder and high-tailed it to the coop, about 6 feet away. I ran through them towards the hawk who had focused on the "baby". I didn't even think, just made for him as fast as I could!

Didn't know what I was going to do when I got to him though! He flew up and out of the yard, to a tree, empty handed. Too much confusion for him to succeed.

I go to the coop to do a head count, missing the baby. Chipmunk had her head buried in the corner of the nesting box, Rooster was seriously wigging out, and the other hens were cackling up a storm. I check under the coop, in the bushes, under leaves, along the fence, spotted some movement in the nieghbor's yard. Lil'Bit was standing against his fence, still and silent. I walk around front and get her, bring her back. The rest hush-up and make different noises when I put her back in the coop. So I guess they knew she was missing.

Man, talk about adrenaline! This is exactly why I don't free range them when I can't be out there! He might have made off with one if I wasn't there to jump into the middle of it and add to the confusion.

*phew* close call!! My heart rate is only just now starting to subside.

On the day when I've got eggs hatching too... figures. I was sitting there day dreaming about my little fuzzies when it happened!

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    [​IMG]

3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Whew! Close call! I am glad that all the birdies are safe and sound. It's crazy that the hawks are so bold to attack with you right there!

4. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    HOLY C*** indeed!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I know!! That hawk needs to go downtown and score some pigeon!!

I had heard about it before... but man... never in a million years thought it would happen in MY yard!! Good thing I'm paranoid though!

And it just couldn't get the Banty rooster from next door, could it? Course not, had to go for my baby pullet, who's the youngest chicken I ever had start laying, who loves to be a pet, and who is the most comical to watch.

You should have seen Jibbers though... he about had a heart attack. All those false alarms made him complacent. And Chipmunk with her head buried in the shavings... didn't know she was part Ostrich!

K... my coping skills are making it funny now. Hands are still shaky. I mean, he was really close! And FAST! Didn't even touch the ground, the lowest he got was about a foot. They're a lot bigger than you think they are when they're almost close enough to smack out of the air!

ALMOST close enough to... well I don't know. I prolly woulda just started swinging at him out of instinct.

6. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    All the "hawks are nationally protected" things are myths. I've spoken with two county wildlife agents this week. They want you to try to scare them away non-violently, waving sticks and yelling, but if they are attacking you/crops/wildlife/animals, you can apply for a permit or have them removed.

Things are ballsy. My terrier was almost attacked this weekend, of course they don't go near my nearly 100 lb lab mastiff.

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I actually had one of my guys face off a hawk and send it flying! I guess it decided there was easier food out there. This big 'un was the hero of the day. I was out there and saw the whole thing. Until then, I thought it was a pullet. Now I'm not so sure. No eggs yet and no crowing yet. Anyway, he/she got extra treats that day.

[​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I know that adrenaline rush! I ran outside to thwart an attack, screaming and waving my hands like a crazy woman. I just happened to be looking out my window and saw it swoop down outside. We were out of town the day before and lost one, but it came back the next day and I scared it off.

We now have T posts and scare tape in the run. It works very well and we have not lost any more chickens to hawks.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh, and be careful. That hawk WILL try again.

10. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Coopers hawk just snagged one of my husband racing pigeons off the loft. He the dobe and several chickens in hot pursuit across pasture.The dog I understand but the chickens must of been running cause Pops was??? hawk dropped the bird and he'll be alright because of the assorted calvary charge!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by