Holy Chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I just gave a chick CPR!!!! I know what you're thinking...what's she thinking???? But I had one that pipped and never hatched ( a silkie that I was desperate to make it) and when I finally had to intervene it seemed weak but breathing. Put it in the brooder and within 10 minutes checked back to find it DEAD with other chicks pecking it. Completely dead. I'm talking limp not breathing no heartbeat dead. Started to sadly toss it and on a whim cleaned its beak and gently blew into it twice then thumped its chest on the left of breastbone 5 times (as per human cpr). Did this for at least two to three minutes before I decided to give up. It was cold to touch now and just as I went to put it out it's leg twitched. Reflex? But again, on a whim I resumed my efforts and saw gradual increase in movement! Suddenly it gasped, mouth open and began to breathe!!! Mouth open eyes closed pant, slow at first but finally pretty rhythmic! Still cold so I ran it to the sink and put it under very warm running water and it continued to breathe! Talking to it, bok bok"ing" and now it is resting skin to skin with me. Eyes still closed but actually breathing pretty easy! Even cheeped twice softly!!!! It's alive at least for now!!! I can't believe myself--was always one of those-who would give CPR to an animal???--people and now I have given CPR to a chick! No sleep for me tonight as I will no doubt be pacing the floor watching the baby! My pet cochin, Cricket, died this week and now I think I shall name this silkie Cricket as well. If he makes it he makes it and I am hopeful! Cross fingers for him/her!!

pic added page two

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    WOW!!! [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    repositioned on my stomach-still skin to skin and when I moved it it gave a big kick and silent cheep! If it lives will be a miracle silkie!

5. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Songster

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Awwww... that is awesome!

I love that you are using Kangaroo care with your new baby. I'm going to run out and patent little slings and carriers for people to "wear" their chicks.

6. leahthor

leahthor Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little fuzzy butt.

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    you know luke I watch NICU and special delivery baby shows all the time and I saw where "kangaroo care" makes a drastic improvement in the recuperation of newborns...hence the idea and it seems to be working so far!! It moves a little more every time I "bok bok" to it. Hope I didn't damage ribs or anything thumping its chest...but it doesn't seem too distressed so far...still closed eyes though

8. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    go girl

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    he/she just responded to me touching its head and talking to it in mama hen speak by peeping audibly! Two full newborn peeps! I am so overwhelmed by the shock of this right now. don't know whether to cheer cry or both! Praying it makes it!!

10. Hennypen

Hennypen Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Awww.... good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by