holy cow, I did it!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Jul 19, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Thanks to the help of my lovely DH, I just force fed a chicken. Poor Janis has been ill and I finally spoke to the right person and diagnosed it as canker. dr chicken advised to force feed her, which is the only way I could think to get the metronidazole into her since she can't eat, so I did.
    Shaking the whole time, triple checked my placement and now you can see her crop has stuff in it! She was really stressed from it (cause I took soooo long to be SURE) but I figure she will die if I don't do anything, so I will try my best.
    I hope the meds work fast and she can eat on her own soon cause I really don't want her to hate me and run every time I she see's me. But for now, this is the only way to medicate her. She has been sick for about 1 1/2 weeks and I just had no idea what was wrong with her. I thought at 1st it was sour crop, but then it started to not look like that at all. No big balloon looking crop, just empty and wasting away. I wish I had known sooner cause I bet if I treated her a week and a half ago it would be easier. She was able to eat a little at that point.
    Wish me luck with the future feedings, and if I can get it down good I will try to video tape it. She actually swallowed when I got it right. Poor girl, hope this has a happy ending! She has had a hard last year and is easily stressed. I wish I could make her a house chicken! (my DH didn't really agree there)

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Good job! [​IMG] I hope she gets better! I hope I will never have to do that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by