1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holy Cow -- I have sprouts!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MichiganWoods, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I've never been one that is very successful at planting seeds and having them grow. So I did buy some seeds from Gurneys with their coupon deal they sent out with the spring catalogs. Ended up paying $6 shipping and got $20 worth of seeds for free. While I was waiting for those to arrive though, I swung by our local feed store, and the owner had jars full of seeds sitting on his counter. I asked what was up with that and he said they sell seeds every spring. $0.75 per scoop! I decided to see how green my thumb was and bought seeds for cucumbers, pie pumpkins, cantaloupe, watermelon and squash. I got double of some things because I wanted to compare the feed store seeds to Gurney's. Walmart had these cheap little trays with round disks of peat in them. Add water and wait for them to expand, then fluff the soil up, plant your seeds, lightly cover and put the clear lid on the tray. It says to add water once your peat dries out, but I haven't had to add any more since the initial watering. This morning I found a ton of sprouts! I planted 72 cucumber seeds, all of which appear to be popping up, 36 pie pumpkins, most of which have popped up, 36 cantaloupe, all of which look to have sprung, 24 watermelon, which are only starting to work their way out, and 36 squash. The squash haven't popped out yet at all.

So I started a new tray tonight with the seeds from Gurneys that came in the mail yesterday. I planted 36 First Edition Hybrid Onions, 25 Athena Hybrid Cantaloupes, 18 Argonaut Squash, 12 Sangria Hybrid Watermelons and 15 Sweet Success Hybrid Cucumbers.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Baby chicks, baby sprouts and soon baby quail! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I sure hop you have a huge garden. That is a lot of plants. You are gonna have cucs coming out your ears.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:ditto you can supply your entire neighborhood with fresh veggies and fruits. REminds me of having to start my own seeds pretty soon too

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That's what I was thinking. You'll be able to feed the whole neighborhood!!!

5. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I've probably got about an acre that I can work with here. And if need be, I'll ask my father-in-law if I can borrow a section of his 35 acres about 30 minutes from here to plant whatever I can't space properly in our yard.

I'm actually glad that I'll have all of that extra. I was sort of hoping to have some veggies to take the the farmer's market this year, along with our eggs. I might also supply the farmer down the road who puts a stand outside of his farm during the summer. I know he buys some of his produce from other growers, and he has a much better location than we do here for a stand.

6. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I this case, plant away. You gonna grow some Okras too?

7. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I actually hadn't thought about them. I've never eaten one. [​IMG] What do they taste like?

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Hard to describe . I hope somebody comes by who can do it for me.
    But my kids love them battered and fried.

9. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I just looked it up on Wikipedia and found this.

Okra seeds may be roasted and ground to form a non-caffeinated substitute for coffee.

[​IMG] Okra coffee? Never even heard of that, but apparently it's been around since the 1860's! Any coffee drinkers here ever had Okra coffee?​

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! You are going to have a fabulous garden!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by