Holy cow! I think my SA drake might be a WH!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by secretquail, Oct 26, 2010.

1. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I thought I lucked out getting a Silver Appleyard Drake at the NC State Fair, but after looking at some pics of the Welsh Harlequins, I may have been scammed, along with the people at the fair! I was perusing the pics on Feathersite.com. The SA's and the WH drakes can look VERY similar. It seems the only difference is the large keel on the SA's. The gorls look similar too, the biggest difference that I noticed in the females being both the keel, and the dark bill on the WH. Thinking about it, all the females that this guy had were smaller, and they all had dark bills. I thought they were BEAUTIFUL birds, and was a bit sorry that my Lucky has an orange bill, but I looked at the standards, and it is for an orange bill on the SA. I'm a bit grumpy about the idea, seeing as I paid for a SA. I don't want to breed if he really is a WH. Is there a sure fire way of telling the difference?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    When you posted your pics of your drake in another thread i thought the same thing. I didn't post anything because i wasn't sure and didn't want to stur up anything. And if i'm not mistaken, course i could be, a lot of pictures have the drake and sometimes the hen having a line around the eye toward the bill. Not my pic. but you can see what i'm talking about.
    http://britannicrarebreeds.co.uk/images/ducks/sadr.jpg
    and the hen
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/castlefarmpoultry/Appleyard Ducks/AppleyardDucks012.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
  4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    treldib is correct about WH. WH and SA really don't look much alike. The drakes can look somewhat similar, but are fairly easy to tell apart, especially in eclipse plumage. The hens though look completely different. They don't look even remotely similar. WH are dusky based and therefore should never have eye stripes, whereas SA do.

I went and looked at your pictures, secretquail. You are right in thinking your drake is a WH. Your hen is definitely a SA.

5. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    grrrr. and of course I notice this a few days AFTER the fair ends. I am going to try to get in contact with the breeder. I will keep Spike, but he shouldn't be showing his WH and posing them as SA's. I hope he is just very misinformed, and not trying to be dishonest. The fair people should know too. rrrrrrrrrrrr

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:The posted pics were supposed to be of Silver appelyards not WH

Sorry for the confusion.

7. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:The posted pics were supposed to be of Silver appelyards not WH

Sorry for the confusion.

I am aware of that...I was pointing out a large difference between the 2 breeds to the OP...[​IMG]

8. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    O ok, sorry. I thought, that you thought, that i thought the pics i posted were of WH. If that makes any since at all. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. treldib

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Makes sense [​IMG]

10. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] them's my babies. awe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by