1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holy cow!!! Look at this whopper!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gumpsgirl, Sep 4, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My 10 year old came running from the coop a little bit ago yelling, "MOM! Look at this whopper!" He was right! It is HUGE! [​IMG] The first pic shows a grocery store egg (the white one which is a jumbo), the whopper egg (in the middle), and then the normal sized eggs that I've been getting. This one was definitely MUCH larger than what we've been seeing since the RIR's started laying 3 wks. ago so I had to share. [​IMG] I wonder if it's a double yolker? What do you all think? I will post pics when I crack it open, but first I have to show my DH when he gets home tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    We have one Golden Comet pullet who has laid 3 eggs like that since starting to lay in August. They have all been double-yolkers and wouldn't fit in any egg carton!! Congrats!!

3. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    My Orpingtons lay eggs like that every day..they don't fit well in a Jumbo egg carton.

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Congratulations. Poor girl won't be able to sit for a week.

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:My Orps. are still a couple months from laying, but I can't wait until they do!

Gindee77 - It's funny that you mentioned that your Golden Comets are laying eggs like that for you, because my son was determined that it came from one of the golden girls. I don't think that's likely though, because I haven't seen the first egg from them yet. What are the chances of that being a first egg? Probably not very likely. [​IMG]

6. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I was thinking something very similar!

Lovely egg!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I wish my BO would start laying.... That is one HUGE egg!

8. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Hey gumpsgirl:

My Cleo's (an EE) first egg was just that huge. I went out to gather eggs and was floored by what we found. I compared it to our duck eggs and it dwarfed the duck eggs. We cooked it for breakfast the next day and it was a TRIPLE yoker. Can you believe it. Funny thing ever since her first egg, every egg has been huge. They are now only single yokers but almost as big as our duck egg.

We are so proud of our Cleo...we even showed the other girls the giant egg and told them that if they ate their veggies and get big and strong maybe they too could lay GIANT eggs. [​IMG]

Let us know how many yokes it had.

Congrats on the egg...now give the poor girl a doughnut to sit on.

9. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    congrats!! Aren't jumbos fun? I think we need a new catagory called "GINORMOUS"

10. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:They are! I can't wait to crack it open and see what's inside.

scrapmom5 - A triple yolker! WOW! And to be a first egg. YOUCHY!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by