Holy Cow our Silkie is sooo fiesty! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juliemom25, May 8, 2009.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Ok, this is our first year doing chickens. We have 30 hens and 20 Cornish X and they are all 6 1/2 weeks old. I just picked up 6 bantams at TSC yesterday and 3 of those are silkies (or so I have learned...thank you BYC!). Our white silkie is just down right ornery. It has been different from the other 5 since we got them. It is the first to eat/drink. If you pick it up it immediately tries to jump out. It was dragging one of the other babies by it's wing today and so I put it in chicken jail (a box within the brooder box). It cheeped like crazy for a couple minutes and then it jumped on to its food dish and over the remaining 10 inch high box side back in with the other 5 chicks. My two oldest have named it James Bond because it like flies through the air and does summersaults and then lands on it's feet.

Is this normal for silkies? These three are our first (the two black ones we have seem to be very docile). Is this little guy probably a roo? What is the deal?

Here's a pic of our naughty little guy.......

[​IMG]

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I don't know if it's normal or not, but I have two 2-week old silkies who have been like that since I brought them home. I fear they are roos [​IMG]

3. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    They sure are Cute!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by