1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holy Cow overrun

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jjparke, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    So I ordered 2 RIR roo's from a local hatchery here and went to pick them up today. When I got there they handed me a box and said "we gave you a couple extra." I thought OK I'll just raise them for some meat. When I got home to put them in the brooder I found 24 in the box. So my question is they are all supposed to be RIR's but a couple have black striped down their backs and look like EE's. Can RIR roo chics have black stripes like that?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You got a buy 2 get 22 free special???

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    wow!!!!! got any pictures????

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    LOL I think that's the funniest thing I've ever heard! I hope you have enough brooder space for 24 roosters...

More than anything, though, I hope some of them are sexed wrong and you've got a couple of pullets in there.

5. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i have a gooooregous RIR roo that was marked up like a quail almost he had lots of black markings on him and hes one of the prettiest roos ive seen... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] maybe im sayin that bc hes mine and i love him either way hes a beauty lol

6. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    When I ordered last year from Ideal, part of the order was 2 RIR and 2 EEs. Both EEs looked like chipmunks and so did one of the RIRs. I thought they might have made a mistake and gave me three EEs, but come to find out it was a RIR.

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Pictures of my RIR chicks. Girls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They're all RIRs.

9. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Awesome deal...and very cute!
    ~Rebecca

10. h_musick

h_musick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    aw... i know your question was answered already, but i just wanted to say that those are so cute! good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by