HOLY COW! (Update on droopy chickie, with pic)

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
So, I have these 2 eggs I incubated 1 day apart, from our BR & frizzle bantam. The first hatched today, day 22 at almost 12 hrs ago with a bit of yolk left. It's been nearly 12 hours, and she's taken this long to perk up. I had to q-tip her eyes with warm water (I feared she my not even have any). So, now the 2nd egg, at day 21, has PIP'd internally and is peeping. Sweetpea is UPRIGHT now, and dry, eyes wide, and peeing like a little nut at the peeping egg! SO FUNNY.

I'm thinking since she's had a tough recovery I'll let her stay in the incubator all night...move her to the brooder tomorrow (with 2 little ones waiting). She's still wobbly. She can cheer sister egg on to hatch...

208ybcw.jpg

A couple of hatches ago in the same hatch one BO and one BR had crossed beaks and blind. They had to be culled. I had a BR chick form my latest hatch that hatched with some unabsorbed yolk sack too. I had to keep it separated because the other chicks started to peck at the yolk sack and it started bleeding. I got the bleeding to stop pretty quick and it is walking around with it's yolk sack.

she was really takaing her sweet time to perk up...and it happened when the other egg started peeping. I got up at 1am to check on them, and found Sweetpea literally curled up alongside the PIP'd egg. It was so cute. She waas peeing t the egg and vice vers ain the 1st pic.

Back
Top Bottom