Holy Crap, I can't believe I'm getting a new coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MBLayfield, Nov 3, 2007.

1. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    My husband just sat down with me and designed a coop for me with individual pens and runs. [​IMG] 12 to be exact! He's going to help me modify my existing coop! Woo Hoo! [​IMG]

He said to me "Brandy, if you're gonna keep getting birds and selling these stupid things you at least need to do it right and have a little hello while you're doing it" [​IMG]

Then he said "Here's the plans you need. This should only cost this much, this should cost this, you need to buy and get this first before the ground freezes" [​IMG]

DH hates my chickens! He complains about the feed bill, the noise my 8 ducks make in the middle of the night, he just thinks they are a waste of time.

I don't know who this guy is, but I've taken him up on the deal and am leaving right now for Home Depot.

Oh and I took advantage of his mood and talked him into a gravity fed water system for each pen. How freaking cool is this? I've been waiting two years to get some help on my coop. He helped year one and rebuilt a pig shed into my coop. Its 24 long by 24 wide and after he helped build it and side it, he said the rest was up to me. I can't even believe this!

Woo Hoo! Just thought I'd share [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Congrats! It hard to get my guy to help but once he does he actually enjoys doing it.

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Wow, what a blessed woman you are!! Can't wait to see pics. It's so cool when they surprise us with their generosity.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If we men didn't keep you guessing, you ladies would get bored with us! [​IMG]

5. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    It must be something in the air my hubbie took my chicken hunting ( better feed, incubator, and just driving around the country side) we'll see if this mood last until he works on the coop tomorrow. and he decided that instead of giving away my spares from first hatch he cans to keep!!!! trully bizare from my city boy hubbie.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Brandy, that's FANTASTIC!

Please please please please take pics of the plans and lots of pics as you build every bit of the coop and runs. We'd love to add it to the coop design section of BYC. We need more large segmented examples like this!

Thanks!

7. chixrme

chixrme Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2007
    Eastern Shore of VA
    Brandy: You rock, girl! And rooster-red is right- mine HATED the idea of any chicken outside of Perdue's (which is right up the road...) and fought me every step of the way...until I told him the chix were in the mail! Then he busted a** and built me the cutest coop. Now a year and a half later, he has built the second one and tends to the hova like...a mother hen. Now if I can just convince him about the mini pigs I want....

8. bluerose

bluerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    My dad designed and built a coop for my guys... and helped with their run... he was always sort of lukewarm about the chicklets but I think he's warming up to their goofiness, even when Red-hen is sqwawking like a madwoman to be let out in the morning...

That and he likes the eggs!!!

[​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My husband loved the rooster that came from nowhere and decided to live with our horses. He was a very nice rooster. Then I got a rooster here, and DH liked him till one day the roo went to attack him. I think he's warming to the new chickens, but really, I think if I ask him to build something for the chickens, he'll get to know them better.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's so exciting! I wish I could do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by