HOLY CRAP ITS COLD

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stewarts, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Jan 2 2014

-13F feels like -33 with the extreme windchill and a west wind of 10 mph on Prince Edward Island, Canad! Not a warm direction for the wind to come from around here but at least its not a freezing north wind. I used 8 jugs of warm water just to get the passenger side door on my van open! Water splattered on my coat and boots and FROZE immediately. Doesn't take long for your face and fingers to go numb either. Will be putting the heat lamp in the coop today, when I get home from errands.

2. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    I know what you mean! We're having a blizzard where I live, have to go outside soon to take care of all of our livestock.[​IMG] NOT looking forward to that. Carrying buckets and feed bags is bad enough in warm weather!

3. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    My coop is out in the back yard, had to hand shovel a path all the way from the house back there and we are in for 2-3 inches of snow tonight and Friday. At least it will warm some. I carry milk jugs of warm water and buckets of feed out there once a day and their daily morning treat. Usually between 7:30 and 9 am.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    And here I a whining about 20 degrees. Dang! I'm the lucky one! Stay safe!

5. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Jeezaloo... this morning I saw 43F in car dashboard and thought "**** it's cold."
    Haha we are spoiled Californians.

6. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    It's 20° here but with wind chill it's -4. Ahhh! In some spots there's no snow, in others it's 2 feet high! Not fun. ALL the chickens are huddled in the coop. It's nice and toasty in there. A whopping 25°!

7. Stewarts

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Emerald, PEI, Canada is under yet another Storm Watch. This one starting tonight and seeing up to 3 inches of snow by tomorrow - Uhhgg, more shoveling!
    -11 so it feels like -26 with a NW wind of 6 mph. Its already clouding over which adds to the cold. Severe Wind Chill Warning still in place; now a Blowing Snow Warning on top of it. More snow and dangerously cold temps for tonight and tomorrow!

Don't you love winter?

8. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    No on the winter!!! I'm eady for at least Spring.[​IMG]

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    My old departed grand mother use to say, "Into every life a little Sunshine must fall." I never realized how little Sunshine she had in mind until today.[​IMG]

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I read some where that before Texas was even a state that there was a winter storm called a "Blue Northern" that swept into Texas and the 24 hour temperature swing was 100 degrees or more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by