1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

holy crap! My polish pullet has toe fuzz!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kari_dawn, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I was playing with my chickens today, something I hardly ever have the time to do it seems, and I realized Mantis has teeny tiny feathers between her toes! WHY?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aw, anyone know how to rotate the picture?

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Those are called "stubs" and would be a disqualification for her at a show. Generally they can pop up after bathing a chicken in preparation for showing, when the skin is soft. Most exhibitors will carefully inspect the legs of clean-legged birds before putting them into a show cage.

If she's a pet, it's not an issue for you at all.

Deb

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    nope, she is just a backyard hatchery bird. So was there a feather footed breed in the polish background?

Do people pluck them if they pop up on a show bird?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is preferred that you do NOT pluck it out for show, but some people do. I've never heard of it in Polish though, and no, no feather-legged breeds back there for at least 100+ years.

It might just be a fluke, or it might be that the hatchery accidentally or purposefully threw in a feather-legged bird a few generations back.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks for the info illia. My money is on a feather footed breed tossed in generations back...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by