1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holy crap so cute!Chicks swimming!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bleenstar, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    One day I decided to wonder if chickens can swim....then trusty youtube shows me this [​IMG]

2. Home on the Stead

Home on the Stead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Great Vid!

Thanks for sharing!

3. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    wonder if they have enough buoyancy or enough oil on the feathers to keep afloat for long?

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very cute AND it's sooooooooooooo good to see a dog behaving! I have read a number of stories about chicks drowning so I hope people seeing the video don't try it at home!
    JJ

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I lost one baby chick that got into the goats water trough and couldn't get out. Another tried and peeped so loud I heard it. luckily it was floating on top of the water. I rescued it and dried it off That was the last time they went swimming.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

How cute is that??? What a cute dog!! I am sure they can keep a float for a minute but I don't think they can take off like a duck!

Thanks for sharing this cute video!!

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Chickens can not swim. Once their feathers are soaked with water they sink. I didn't watch the youtube because my puter takes WAAAY too long to load it up. Chicks can probably float for a little while but their fate is sealed if they are not rescued. It is probably a cute little film but I hope it does not give anyone the idea that chickens like the water. Ducks like water!

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom had a duck hatch out 3 chicken eggs-along with her own 9 duck eggs.. The babies thought they were ducks. When newly hatched the momma duck would take the babies to th bathtub (there pool)--yes it's outside in the ground. The momma duck would hop into the water. Pretty soon all 3 baby chicks and the 9 baby ducks would be swimming away. The baby chickens grew up LOVING the water....They swam whenever the momma would go to the water. They grew up loving the water....And when they were older they would still swim. It was something they taught there own little babie chicks too when they finally hatched. Now there babies didn't take the water like there moms did, but there were 3 adult chickens swimming in the water with ducks!!!!!

9. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    That is awesome. I never thought chickens would swim. If you go on YouTube there are other chicken swimming vidoes as well. [​IMG]

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    That poor dog looked like he REALLY wanted to get out of there !! That was cute, but I wouldn't try it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by