Holy CRAP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Farm Frenzy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I went out to feed , and opened my babies pen (an old rabbit cage) and there were 4 dead babies in there. I paniced and looked around wondering what in the heck happened....they were perfectly fine last night. And there it was staring back at me, THE BIGGEST RAT SNAKE EVER!!! In the pen. I got so mad I saw red. I grabbed a box I keep in the coop for transporting babies and grabbed the still live ones and threw them in the box. Then I reached in for that scummy snake. Grabbed his tail and gave him a good swing over my head and cracked his head on a tree. Mess with my babies will you...I think not. That's when i noticed the lumps in his stomach, 2 of them. So not only did he actually eat 2 of my little ones, but he strangled 4 more. I checked everywhere, and I still cannot find how he got in there. It's rabbit wire, and this snake was as long as me, 5'3". How could this have happened? Then the fatty was too fat to get back out the pen with his belly bulge. If it's not the nasty racoons, now it's snakes. DEATH TO ALL VARMINTS!!! I have a personal vendetta....GAME ON!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I would edit the title of the thread, but I truly understand your situation. Good job!

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I hear ya!!!! I deal with coons, dogs, cats, opossums, fox, coyotes, snakes, rats, hawks, and skunks!! [​IMG] They make me so angry. I am sorry about your chicks. At least you got him!!

4. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    No kidding, I just trapped and killed three HUGE racoons, and now a HUGE snake. Can't my babes get a little peace?[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  5. gmzamz

gmzamz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Monticello, MN
    a fox got my favorite chicken so far it has not come on our property......yet......

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    My condolences on the loss of your chicks [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Way to go on thrashing the culprit though!

7. mhaines4102

mhaines4102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Sorry to hear about your babies. Good job on the snake killing!

8. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    For some reason I was under the assumption that snakes only killed what they ate....WRONG!! i think that's what made me more mad was that he killed 4 more. I could tell he had too, you couldn't mistake it...if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Maybe he did eat them, but was trying to barf everybody back up so he could escape?

10. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an image in my head of the snake swinging helicopter style over your head. Glad you were able to dispatch the snake killing your babies! Wonder how the booger got in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by