HOLY CUCUMBER!!!

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I was picking veggies today and found this monster of a cucumber. I don't think I've ever had one get this big before.

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01631.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

Oh, anyone have a good dill pickle recipe? I'm getting a ton of cucumbers and I'm the only one that eats them.

I also have one for bread and butter pickles if you want that. If so, I can post it later. Happy canning well, pickling

Quick Dill Pickles
Yield: about 8 pints

8 lbs. of 3- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers
2 gallons water
1-1/4 cups canning or pickling salt
1-1/2 qarts vinegar (5 percent acidity)
1/4 cup sugar
2 quarts water
about 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
(1 tsp. per pint jar)
about 3 tablespoons whole mustard seed
(1 tsp. per pint jar)
14 heads of fresh dill
(or 1-1/2 tsp of dill seed per pint jar)

1. Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard, but leave 1/4 inch of stem attached. Dissolve 3/4 cup salt in 2 gallons of water. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 12 hours. Drain.

2. Combine vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, sugar, and 2 quarts water. Add mixed pickling spices tied in a clean, white cloth. Heat to boiling.

3. Fill jars with cucumbers. Add 1 tsp. mustard seed and 1-1/2 heads fresh dill per pint. Cover with boiling pickling solution, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath, pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes.

I use mrs wages in the canning section I get it at wal mart. It is easy quick and tastes so good! My family prefers it over the others I have tried! It also has a refrigerator recipe too, If I remember right!
I can't wait till mine start!
Brenda

Quote:
Here are a couple. Also, there is a thread on pickle recipes under the recipes section on BYC. Good luck
smile.png

Aunt Carol’s Refrigerator Dills
1 ½ quarts water
2 cups white vinegar
½ cup pickling salt
1 tbsp. mustard seed
¼ tsp. alum (if desired for added crunchiness)

Bring to boil on the stove. While heating, slice a big onion on bottom of 5-qt. pail. Add garlic, 4 heads of dill, and cucumbers. Pour brine over the top. Add more dill, garlic, and onions on top. Add minced hot peppers if desired. Let stand on counter up to 4 days, then move to fridge.

Aunt Chris’ Freezer Pickles—easy, fast (except 1 hour of draining time) and unexpectedly crunchy when thawed and served.

8 cups cucumbers sliced, thinly sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 tablespoons salt
1 ½ cup sugar
½ cup vinegar

Mix cukes, onion and salt; let stand 1 hour. Drain over sink and then squeeze out excess water. Heat 1 ½ cups sugar and ½ cup vinegar until dissolved. Pour over cukes. Freeze in freezer containers. Thaw and serve.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I figured I'd use an egg for size comparison since I know everyone here knows the size of a standard egg.

Back
Top Bottom