1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

holy duck eggs batman

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargazingmommy, Dec 4, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    oh holy hannah...I just went took my ducks back outside(they were in the house for a bath).
    I check the coop daily for eggs when I shoo the broody chickie outside. No eggs. I was sure they both stopped laying a week or more ago...
    So, i checked on miss broody and found not 1 duck egg. not 2. not even 3...but *4* duck eggs that were NOT there last night when I locked them up for the night.
    Unless the buff orphington chick started laying, but I'm pretty certain these are duck. I know they aren't from miss broody, she's a banty.
    maybe the BO found them in the yard and relocated them(only in my dreams).
    no, theres no way I could have missed them, not where they were located.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is some human joking you?

Or (not likely) you're underestimating the sneakiness of your ducks!
    [​IMG]

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:well, one kids got her eyes glued to the tv playing a video game. one's not home, and hubby won't touch the eggs unless its to cook them(he has parkinsons and is afraid of having a major tremor and dropping an egg).
    and the dogs won't let anyone else in the yard...

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    yup - duck sneakiness

5. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    update a bit I guess
    I put a camera out there to see if someone was tricking me.
    Every day since she has laid 3-4 eggs.
    No one but the dogs out there, and they don't have access to the coop.
    I've removed all the bedding and replaced it, there are no hidden nests.
    they are not banty size, just a normal duck size. The Buff Orpington has started laying, but her eggs are banty size and brown.

So, the invisible man is sneaking into my coop and placing extra eggs there, or my duck is laying lots.
    The other duck is a male from his quack down to his drake feather.
    I've seen them mating and seen the other evidence of him being male.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    3 to 4 a day? wow ! I did'nt know that was even possible...that duck may have excess calcium or will have reduced levels...thats a LOT of egg to produce for a duck.

...and I thought that 1 everyday for 2 weeks was alot of work !

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    So are you still getting that many a day ? Like. Amiga said, ducks are sneaky and smarter than chickens and most of the ones I've had would cover their nests when they leave.

8. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Quote:

First time I saw a full clutch of around 10 eggs covered with straw and leaves and such that was perfectly rounded and swirled like the wind had done it, I was looking around for foot prints thinking that a human had been in there and was messing with me !

I was blown away when I discovered that a hen can do that by rotating in the nest before she gets up to walk away....very sneeky and smart these birds are !

9. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    it comes and goes, I'm getting at least 1 egg a day, other days 2 and sometimes 3. She generally doesn't lay in a nest of any sort, just on the ground or on top of the straw and walk away. I'll find them just right on top of the straw in different spots in the coop

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Oh well that sounds normal too, unless ducks are planning on setting, they will just drop an egg where ever they are standing when they get the urge. So I don't know, maybe you have a very productive layer, what breed is she ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by