Holy Eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lensters, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Ok, I have a new one, at least for me. This morning I received some hatching eggs. This evening I was washing them in warm water and found that 2/3rds of these eggs have holes in them (yes, I wash my eggs as do all hatcheries and university labs). The holes are smaller than pin holes, small enough that they can't be seen with the naked eye. I candled the eggs and they aren't thin shelled. I'm thinking a little dab of super glue and I'll see if they hatch. Here is the video (if your browser tries to open it with QuickTime you'll have to download it and use the MS video player or Real Player). So has anyone else seen this before? Any ideas on the cause?

Oh yes, I know that the subject is puny. [​IMG]

2. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Couldn't get the video to work. Just the Q (Quicktime logo) came up with a ? in the middle of it.

What breed of eggs do you have? I've never heard of that before! Holy Eggs! ~ Better than Holy Buckets? [​IMG]

Do you wash your eggs in some kind of solution?

3. Lensters

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    You'll need to right click on the link and select save as... Then once it is downloaded right click on it again and open it with something other than QuickTime.

The eggs are EE eggs. Hatching eggs get water only, eating eggs get egg wash. I just washed 10 dozen of my RIR, Barred Rock and Welsummer eggs and watched them very carefully, none of them bubbled. I've incubated a few thousand eggs and I'm pretty sure none of them have bubbled before.

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Oh my goodness! That can't be good. If air is escaping then water is getting in!

btw that worked to get the video. Real fast too.

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    The link worked fine for me , opened with WMV automaticly but not too fast .
    I'm inexperienced , but read never to wash hatching eggs unless they are soiled and then to expect poor hatching results .

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. Lensters

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    That's an interesting link. I don't know much about the flock these came from so I can't comment on them. However, I found it pretty interesting that one of the causes of pin holes is "excess calcium intake in winter". It would be interesting to hear an explanation of that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by