Holy Geez! Ideal is sold out of brown egg layers until when???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sbarab, Feb 17, 2012.

1. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    I am starting my 4th summer season raising home grown eggs. I purchased my first batch of RIR chicks and the hens are getting tired. My hens some 30 odd have been giving us maybe 1 egg a day for the past 2 months. Not even enough to fire up the ol' bator. It is time to raise another batch of chicks to replace them.
    I was hoping to order some BAs and BOs.

I was thinking that I'll get them and have them in the brooder at the same time my kids get their broilers for the county fair (March 1). Guess I should have planned earlier!

1 person likes this.
  2. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    Wow! Looks like my siggy is out of date. Maybe I should change it.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    check Meyer, i think they still have them.

4. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Overrun With Chickens

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    I know! I was shopping Tuesday and everything I was looking at said available for the next several ship dates, all through Feb and part of March. Then yesterday, bam! Every breed is sold out until May?!!!!!!! EVERY BREED?!! Can't even order them for a future ship date. Geez, what happened to just updating availability?

1 person likes this.
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree....they must have been taking all of the BYCers orders! [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most of these hatcheries also supply feed stores, TSC stores, and walk up retail sales and they may well be concerned about meeting those demands. Those contracts were signed a long time ago and must take precedence.

7. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    i see chick fever is still alive an well.

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I don't bother trying to place an order for mail-order during March through June. These retail hatcheries are up to their chins trying to fill orders from feed stores who are all having "Chick Days" of one kind or another. There are literally thousands of such stores, all of whom place huge orders through corporate buying.

If I want hatchery quality chicks in spring, I just get them at the store. If I want something special, I prefer a breeder.

1 person likes this.
  10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Click on the "notify me when available" option and enter your contact info. If you're not ordering large quantities, you'll likely hear from them soon with a request to call within a certain time period to place your order. They will put lots of breeds on backorder like that but it doesn't mean they don't have any available, only that they don't have enough available to open the floodgates to online ordering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by