Holy Heat Lamp Batman!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So my chicks get here in 2.5 weeks and I brought the brooder in for a test run. The brooder is a large metal dog kennel covered in hardware cloth. I hooked up the heat lamp to see how warm it would get before I added the shavings. Good thing too as in less than 15 minutes I red-lined the thermometer! I have no idea how warm it actually got, but the thermometer ends at 130 degrees Fareneheit.
    How the heck do you use a heat lamp without frying the chicks and burning the house down? The lamp is a 250w red brooder lamp. I have the heat lamp hanging inside the kennel. I suppose I can clip it to the top, but holy chickens, Batman! I'm really worried about burning down the house! Especially when I add a flammable substance (wood shavings)! SHould I give it up and go with a regular 100w light bulb. Won't the constant light cause the chicks to pick at each other?

Arrggg.... now I'm getting nervous about the incoming chickens... [​IMG]

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I have a 70 watt red heat bulb that I got from Petsmart. It's actually sold for reptiles. Hope this helps.

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    The heat lamp sounds like it's too much in your setup. I'd go with the 100w incandescent bulb. It'll probably be just right.

4. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    I had to use a 75W bulb to get the temp down to 95!

5. Flowerchick

Flowerchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    Eastern Shore of MD
    I started my chicks with a 100 watt incandescent bulb, but they seemed so restless at night that I got the red infrared bulb from the pet store (look in the reptile department). They were much happier! Raise the light higher to reduce the temperature as they get older. Good luck![​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The only time I ever use a 250 watt lamp is when they are outside in the nursery coop and it's the tail end of winter. In the house brooder, I only use a 125 watt lamp suspended above the brooder from the shower rod.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I use the 250 heat lamp. My house is old and we keep it on the cool side. I raise and lower it as needed.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can pretty much use anything you like, you just have to raise it high enough not to cook the chicks, LOL. The 250 will cost you much more to run, though, trust me.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Is it not a bad idea to put a really hot light bulb over wood shavings? At very least the dust would coat the bulb and burn. I'm realy pumped about the chicks, but don't particularly want to burn the house down.
    Clearly a lower wattage bulb would lessen the risk, but eek!

I'll run off to the petstore and buy yet another lamp. I got two of the 250w red bulbs just to be safe. Arg. That's what I get for trying to think ahead.
    [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, Speckled, I can see that. Especially when I torch the house and burn it to the ground. I'm pretty sure the deductible would cancel out any egg purchase savings the chickens might provide.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by