Holy HUGE egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bearcat73, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    Two of my RIRs started laying last week (finally!). One of them is laying a HUGE and I mean ginormous egg! My daughter tried putting it in a "large" egg carton and the lid wouldn't close. So she put it in an "extra large" egg carton and it just barely fits. I had no idea they laid JUMBO eggs.

2. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Feel sorry for the girl who did.

3. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Could be a double yolker. We got tons of them when our hens were first laying. As they've gotten older we've been getting fewer double yolkers, but once in a while we still get one.

4. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    One of my chickens, probably a Rhode Island Red, produced a 3 ounce egg last week. Eggs only have to weigh 2.5 ounces to be considered "jumbo."

Mind you, she's only six months old.

My wife fixed that huge 3 ounce egg for my breakfast -- it was a double yoker.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations. Some of us who would love the giant eggs don't get them... we've had 1 or 2 in the past 4 weeks.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We got our first double-yolk yesterday. The kids thought it was really cool to see two yolks in one egg.

7. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Sometimes chickens really out do themselves [​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I got one of those this morning myself! I measured it and it is 3" long! [​IMG] Poor hen... I'm certain it is a double yolker and yours probably is also. Congrats! Those double yolkers are fun to get every once in awhile. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have an EE that lays eggs that big consistently. HUGE green eggs. They are single yolkers, but the yolk is really big and orange. Great flavor too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by