Holy Manure!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LisaJean, Mar 20, 2008.

1. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, this just completely blows my mind. I live in the city of Raliehg, and I know that I am allowed to have chickens. Just out of curiosity, I contacted my councilwoman and asked if I could keep a dairy goat. She forwarded my email to the zoning folk, and here is their reply.

On residential property within the City limits, persons may keep one head of cattle, goat or horse on lots less than one acre in size. However, any stable that may be erected must be located at least 200 feet from surrounding houses. A structure less than 42 inches in height would not be defined as a stable.

Chickens and 2 pigs/hogs weighing less than 100 pounds are also permitted to be kept.

The keeping of domesticated animals on residential property may not be commercial in nature.

A cow. A COW. I can have a freaking COW in my backyard!

I'm not going to get a cow. But I am going to start researching dairy goats, now. How nice it would be to have a source of milk!

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    My aunt raised arabian horses in a 2 acre lot in Raleigh, guess they arent as strict as some other cities.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You need one of those mini cows! That way you can have goats too!

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there such a thing, a "mini cow?"

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    There are many *varieties* of "mini-cows". You can do a search on google or whatever. Most of the purebread smaller cows are heritage breeds that were around years ago before the industry began to breed cows for larger sizes.

6. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Get a mini cow so I can live vicariously thru you. [​IMG] They are soooo freakin' cute.

Cheers,
    Michelle

7. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Lucky! Those 'mini' cows are Dexter cows(from Ireland).I have a friend in the Midlands in England that had a herd of 25! So sweet tempered! It looked like liliputin land....

8. Meesh

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    They are also importing minis from Australia. They are called 'Square Deal' cattle. Someone in my area imported a bunch of embryos and implanted them in their cows, I think for birth this Spring. I will be interested to see them. They are supposed to be a good meat producing mini.

There are also mini long horns and other breeds. I loff the mini long horns!!!!

Cheers,
    Michelle

9. Meesh

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Mini long horns next to a standard size longhorn:

[​IMG]

This photo is on the site:
    http://www.miniaturelonghorns.com

Lots of interesting photos. Someone please buy me some?

:) Cheers,
    Michelle

10. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh! Oh!

I want a mini cow, too!!

So cute.

Em

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by