Holy Meatbirds...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Well, I met a lovely French woman who purchased a garden plot membership from me for this coming year.
    She is also a personal chef. She is very unhappy with the quality of commercial store chicken here and when she heard that we were going to raise another batch of meat chickens for ourself this year she jumped on the wagon and asked to buy 20 birds from me at a price of $2.50 a pound (Money seems to be NO issue for this woman).
    Now, we wanted to raise 50 for ourselves so our order is up to 70 Cornish X, 4 Geese to raise for Christmas, and now she's asking about ducks... [​IMG] I'm exhusted already just thinking about it but when she came this evening and handed me a wad of cash as a deposit it made it seem a little better...

I better get collecting materials for one heck of a tractor and some kind of pen for the geese/ducks.
    This is gonna be fun!
    She seems like such a peach though and even asked if I needed any help processing them! She knows alot of people, so hopefully she helps spread the word about our products locally.
    Her father is a master gardener in France and she talks to him alot and visits frequently so she was going to ask him about caring for my abundant raspberry plants that have been left to take over for the last 40+ years and about an apple tree I have here that looks really bad.
    I just couldn't believe how nice she was. I don't make friends easily but we talked non-stop and she even brought some books for my children, homeschooling workbooks. I was shocked by her kindness!
    I guess there are still some good people out there, outside of those here on BYC [​IMG]

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Hang on for the ride because once you get one good customer like that you are in it for the long haul. Before you know it you will be doing a couple hundred at a time. It seems you need just that one good customer to get things rolling.

Good luck, and do your best to maker her happy. Maybe even get a few ducks for breeding and process one for her for a gift... then you got them hooked. They like special things like that, makes them feel good and it keeps them coming back.

3. Thanks Jeff,
    I do have a good feeling about her. Being a chef herself I can see how benefitial it will be to have access to farm fresh food. Not to mention how many people she comes in contact with.
    I think it'll be great. I just need to get used to the responsibility and I will be doing everything in my power to make and keep her happy.
    She already is raving about my eggs, says they are better than what she was buying at WholeFoods! I need to expand my layer flock, FAST.

[​IMG]
    It felt really good to make some cash finally after the last year of work on this place. I'm mainly a stay at home mom so being able to contribute to the house and farm feels nice.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It is a good feeling to put a smile on someones face and it feels just as good when you can put cash in your pocket at the same time.

I can't wait to hear what happens in a couple months. [​IMG]

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I would suggest you order 100 Cornish X. It's not going to be hard to sell the extras, if not to her then to people she knows (a personal chef definitely travels in circles where people will pay for better quality food).

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh that is awesome I have one guy who will go to hell and back for my eggs he pays $6 a dozen with out flinching He is my best customer, the good ones are hard to find but when you do keep them no matter what the best advertisement is personal refferals. Congrats!

Oh BTW I have a bunch of runner ducks that will be processed in a few more weeks wish you were closer [​IMG]

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    It's great when you can receive income to support your addition. I'm going to do a batch of 100 meaties this Spring. I started asking people I know if they were interested in buying some and before I knew it I had 45 of them gone. If I get anymore requests, I may up my chick number. I figure if I can sell some, it will definetly make the price of the meat I keep much cheaper. If nothing else, it will help pay for the additional equipment I need to purchase to raise 100+ of them. I think starting with people you know and trust is the way to go. Who knows where it may lead.

Goodluck with your endevor!

8. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I was reading your thread yesterday about your MIL not responding to your calls when she was supposed to watch your children so you could go to your meeting. It looks like it worked out- your meeting came to you. [​IMG]

This sounds like a great adventure and venture your going on. Best of luck!

Where are you located? Are you somewhere you can raise meaties year round? Once she gets a taste of your birds she might be spoiled for anything else.

9. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I'd hint that you wouldn't mind some meals for some chickens type trading. Cash and some home catering....wow! [​IMG]

Swamp

10. wisdom_seeker

wisdom_seeker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    CT
    Can you ask your friend what she knows about capons? let us know what you find out. I have been reading the caponizing posts in BYC and I can't wait to give it a try. I like the idea of getting away from the Cornish crosses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by