Holy Moly! I have a BROODY! 2 babies hatched :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MissPrissy, May 8, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I cannot believe I have a broody in my hen house!

In 20 years I have only ever had one hen go broody on me. I had been hoping and hoping one of the BO's would go broody so can you imagine my surprise when we started noticing about 2 weeks ago a barred rock sitting in one spot and not moving.

[​IMG]

I did not want to believe she was broody so I passed it off as a long sit for her to lay.

Secretly I have been watching her and telepathically begging her to stay broody. [​IMG]

She won't let me touch her. She bites at my hands and growls. However, she will let my husband slide his hands under her for the eggs and let him stroke her neck and back.

[​IMG]

My husband has said many times he would like to have some RIR's so ...

I asked BamaChicken for some of her fabulous RIR eggs to slide under this hen. She will be sending them out tomorrow.

Wish me good luck. I so very much want to go out and find chicks peeking out from under a big fat hen in about 3 weeks. [​IMG]

Don't look at her barring. She is a hatchery chick I got last year. Big yellow feet and aweful barring. LOL

2. BreakneckBrook

BreakneckBrook Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Foothills of Maine
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Good luck I hope it turns out well for you. [​IMG]

4. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    MP congrats..... i must get some pictures of my hens uploaded soon, You all are going to have to help me figure out if I have BR's or dominiques. They are supposed to be Domi... but I have a feeling Ms fatty is a BR and my roo well I am confused as well. She looks beautiful. Glad you finally got your telepathic ablility to work for you. [​IMG]

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    FINALLY!!~!!!!!!! Isn't it wonderful!!!! I am so excited over this one broody that I have, out of all my hens only one but it is enough to have me going crazy with excitement. I hope she stays put for you. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Gosh, one of my girls has gone seriously broody twice before she turned a year old. Cute little Pumpkin turns into "Miss Grumpy Pants"!

8. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Congratulations! There's nothing as heartwarming as watching a broody with her babies! I am waiting impatiently for one too! Last year my EE raised a chick for me when she was broody. It was a lone hatchling from Hawkeye and Lexie. She has a special place in my heart for that! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is awesome! I want Sunny to go broody this year like she did both years past, but so far, no dice. Dont tell DH I'm secretly hoping for a broody so I can ask Jody to send more eggs. Shhhhh......

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have let her keep 3 eggs. They are not fertile. I am hoping to move her this evening with those eggs to a place all by herself. I am going to keep a watch on her and make sure moving her doesn't break her brood. By the time the eggs come from Julie she should be settled in her new nest. If not, well I have an incubator that will be empty by this evening and the eggs from Julie can go in there if they have to.

I am so tickled over this I am almost giddy. I have a broody hen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by