HOLY POSSUMS BATMAN!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Scrambled Egg, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    My old outside dog was having a fit awhile ago and when I looked around (pitch dark here!!) I saw nothing but she was barking at the shed..with my flashlight and on my belly on the ground..look what I find!!!! Remember my last year's visitors??? They're baaaaaacccckkkk!!!! There are TWO under my shed!! Holy cow, what am I gonna do with possums living under my shed with all the rat carcasses and my chickens in thepen next to it?! Chickens are closed up tight at night but even I know nothing is totally predator proof, geez, happy new year and holy possums!!! [​IMG]
    Could only get one to "pose" for me the other is further back under the shed...and bigger than this one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Keep a bowl of cheap cat food out for them at night, it still works here without any predation problems.

3. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    What are the odds this is the same two from last year Lee?! They were front porch vistors last year, being in the backyard so close to my chickens makes me much more nervous!!!..going out with cat food now though...

4. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Whats with all the opossum posts lately? are they putting a plan to take over into action?

[​IMG]

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Considering they only live 2-4 years in the wild, odds are pretty high.

None of the ones we had hanging around last year have come back, but we do have a new young one that showed up about 2 weeks ago.

6. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:In cold weather they need to eat more to burn calories to keep warm, so their hunts for food last longer and dark comes much earlier, so chances of humans seeing them go up.

They are still around in summer, just not seen as much.

7. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:In cold weather they need to eat more to burn calories to keep warm, so their hunts for food last longer and dark comes much earlier, so chances of humans seeing them go up.

They are still around in summer, just not seen as much.

Makes sense I rehabilitated opossums in south Florida but since there is no real winter we never encountered the issue of opossums all popping up at once.

8. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:LOL!!! Possums taking over the world!! The dentists would make some good money since they have a bazillion teeth!!

Scrambled Egg wrote:
    What are the odds this is the same two from last year Lee?! They were front porch vistors last year, being in the backyard so close to my chickens makes me much more nervous!!!..going out with cat food now though...

Considering they only live 2-4 years in the wild, odds are pretty high.

None of the ones we had hanging around last year have come back, but we do have a new young one that showed up about 2 weeks ago.

Amazing! Now I have "pet" possums!!! Hahaha!! I put a paper plate full of cat food under the shed just now, there are also several boxes of rat poison under there, guess that'll be the end of the possums if they have a craving for Decon. Can't remove it because I have got to have those rats gone so hopefully the possums will not eat the Decon OR MY CHICKENS!!!!!​

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] do what Lee suggested so they're not hungry at all............ perhaps dog food will do in a pinch ? ?

10. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:It is just amazing to me thta possums that cannot seem to cross a ten foot wide road can find their way into an urban neighborhood and into my backyard!!!!! Amazing! Wild, you live in Nowhere Nebraska and I never hear you talk about possums, guess they all live here!!! Want me to air express you a nice set?!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by