Home and Barn Basics..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, May 8, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]I ordered a 1588 Genesis Hovabator last Thursday ( a week ago) from Home and Barn because I had heard how good they were to deal with. They sent me an order confirmation saying that they would email me when it was shipped.

I have not received an email from them yet. I have emailed them, and also called them, several times, but I only get an answering machine.

Am I unreasonable to expect the Hovabator to be shipped when I ordered it over a week ago? This seems very slow to me.

Heck, I ordered kitty litter from Foster and Smith three days ago, and it came today!

I am thinking of just canceling the order and getting a ECO 20 instead, it was a tossup.

Is this the common practice at Home and Barn? Or am I just being really impatient and unreasonable? I have some eggs coming and I am all excited about them.

2. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Maybe it is on its way and the email just never got out [​IMG] I would try calling them again and check and see. If they have not sent it yet, then I would probably cancel the order because it would tick me off.

Brinsea seems to ship pretty quickly. I called and ordered the Eco 20 on Wednesday morning and they got it out the same day. UPS has it scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

3. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I just posted the same exact post almost lol!!!

I ordred from them on monday, and did 2 day express shipping, and still nothing! No answering the phone, no return calls or emails!!

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I had the same issue, but the incubator did arrive in good condition, just a little later and with a little less communication than I'd like.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I ordered from them a week or so back as well. I was kind of in a rush as I had eggs sitting on the counter ready to go. I finally got a phone number and called. They said that it was going to be a couple of weeks before they got it from the manufacturer. I cancelled the order and bought a 1602 off the shelf from the local Co-op. [​IMG]
    They were really nice when I talked to them. I think the problem is actually a backup at GFQ the manufacturer.
    Good luck!

6. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:That makes me double glad I ordered the Brinsea. I ordered my eggs after the bator, so was not in a desperate hurry, but I am NOT (huge emphasis on not!) a patient person. When I decide I want something, I want it NOW, not next month [​IMG]

7. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    that is the problem..I just called GQF which actually answers the phone unlike HaBB! They are a little behind in the orders, and they ship out in order of invoice #.

The issue is that Home and BB does not tell you that they drop ship,nor that they have the product in stock or not, and why did I bother to pay express shipping if its still going to take a f'n month to get here!

Why wont they answer the phone, or return calls???????

8. rizq

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    They definitely should inform buyers that there they are on backorder, whether they stock them or not ... especially when you wanted express shipping. That should give them a clue that you are in a hurry [​IMG]

9. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I ordered my 1588 off of ebay and it got to me super fast. They provided tracking number too.

I can provide their link if you are interested.

Also... I have a 1588 and a LG sitting side by side with eggs. The Hova just hums along like a charm at the correct temp. The LG needs much more fiddling with.

10. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Wellllllll....I got an email from them. He said that their general manager had quit so things were backed up.

I was going to go ahead and order a Brinsea but then I found that their shipping was some unreal amount--so that instead of costing LESS than the Genesis, it was more. About $20 more, I think.

I really shouldn't be ordering ANYTHING--so the $20 does make a difference.

The man who emailed me updated my order, and they said it would be shipped in 4 to 7 days. Well, I surely do hope it is the 4 days rather than the 7 days.

I guess if it doesn't get here in time, I will just start my precious eggs in the Little Giant.

I think I have gotten the hang of the LG. I hope. My last hatch was 5 eggs, and 3 hatched. Not too bad for a first timer.

I think in a way I should have just canceled and gotten it from ebay, but then I felt kind of sorry for him. Oh well. Everybody cross their fingers that it gets here before the eggs (which is Friday).

What a wuss I am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by