Home and family expantion

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dodgersmomma, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Ok, so I have a very small flock of chickens. I originally had 3 hens and a rooster but we wanted to expand so we bought 4 chicks from a friend of mine (it turned out to be 3 pullets and 1 roo)... At 1 month old I began putting them outside and while I was away at school a dog dug under the fence and killed the 3 pullets and one of my hens.
    Now my baby roo is 4 months old and the lead hen still pecks at him if they are in the run together and as soon as she starts, so does my grown rooster. So we decided to expand the run and add a coop. (originally it was a 6' by 8' run with a hutch, plus they free range when I'm home) now the run will be 10' by 18' and the coop is 8' by 10'. We have the extra part already built and attatched, all we have to do it take down the wall of the old run and it will be finished. My question is, should I wait to take down the wall and let Rocky (the 4 month old) get used to it first so it will be more like his instead of thiers? Rocky is already almost as big as my other rooster so I'm pretty sure that he will grow to be the dominant rooster and the reason we are expanding is because my hens are only aggresive when they are in the run with him. Please help me out... I hope this question isn't to confusing, I wasn't really sure how to ask it.

Ps- I know that the hen to rooster ratio is off but I have 2 hens in the brooder and we will be getting more in the spring... That's the best I can do for now.

2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    well i would keep him away for a while get him his own hens, then if you add him back just watch. I personally never keep to roos togather because one day they will fight and not stop until the other is really hurt or dead i split my groups up or lock a rooster up one day then the other the next... ihope this helps a little

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It is not true that 2 roosters will eventually fight to the death. Some may, but most will not. You do have too many roos for the amount of hens you have though, so that could be a real problem. I'd do what he said, and get your guy his own, then let them mix up later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by