Home Brewers, What's Fermentin'

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by celticfarmer, Dec 22, 2010.

1. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I just had a ground breaking thought. If you and I are similar enought to raise chickens and like other DIY stuff, there has to be other home brewers creeping around here.

So if you are a home brewer or would like to be one, I would like to know what you are brewing.

I will start.

Saturday I put an Irish Draught Ale in the primary fermentation and now I'm taking suggestions as to what to brew next.

Before you proffer any suggestions keep in mind that I only have the capacity to ferment between 62 deg and 72 deg F.

Looking forward to your input.

[​IMG]

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I love wheat brews...so for my next batch, I am going to try Hefeweizen.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have about five gallons of pear wine fermenting on the dryer. I know that isn't the best place, but when you 'Can" and make wine, everything is stuffed with jars and bottle and carboys. I need a big old processing kitchen the size of my house. Quartered, one for canning, one for brewing, one for processing and one for...me.
    Husband is getting ale mixes for Christmas, so we should have brew flys hovering as soon as it is done. Some people seem to "Know" like beer ESP. We only see them when the ale is done.

4. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I haven't done a wheat in a couple of years, are you planning on putting anything extra in it? Corriander ect.?

5. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:No, I think the yeast in the Hef gives it the perfect flavor. I will experiment with other brews, but to me, the Hef has such a clean flavor...I don't want to mess with it.

Also, Hef might be a good choice for you since a good ferment temp is between 62-64 degrees.

6. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:No, I think the yeast in the Hef gives it the perfect flavor. I will experiment with other brews, but to me, the Hef has such a clean flavor...I don't want to mess with it.

Also, Hef might be a good choice for you since a good ferment temp is between 62-64 degrees.

I might try it, they just aren't my thing. I tend to lean heavily in the direction of full body ales.

I kinda missed the boat this year though, I didn't get y christmas ale done on time so the fam will have to go buy beer.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I've got 2 batches of mead in bottles and some hard cider bubbling away on top of the fridge.

8. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    LOL,

I have not had much time to brew anything lately. I think I may start a batch in January if work slows down a bit.
    My last experiement was with an Amber ale, which tasted great, but I over did it when I added save wort right before bottling.....way to much carbonation!

9. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Go mead!!!

You never can go wrong with the mead.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Gotta watch that [​IMG] With mead, too much carbonation = BOMBS! I had one explode in my cabinet and it embedded pieces of glass several inches in to the wood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by