Home brewing - buying hops

MungoSummer

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
South of England
Hello
I'm in UK and my son is about to start a micro brewery. Trouble is all of the popular hops for the season are already sold for this year, especially 'Simcoe' (50 kg needed) and 'Chinook' (100kg). I wondering whether you people in the US are able to buy them off the shelf? I have family in Michigan so could sort out shipping via them. Any help greatly appreciated.

Get a good enough quantity of these and skip the micro brewery, Enjoy consuming rather then producing..
gig.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why, when you have so many lovely craft ales to choose from would you choose this?
As for forgetting the microbrewery surely better to create your own in the same way that it's better to keep chickens that lay eggs than to buy eggs.

Why, when you have so many lovely craft ales to choose from would you choose this?
As for forgetting the microbrewery surely better to create your own in the same way that it's better to keep chickens that lay eggs than to buy eggs.
You misread my humor.. But no harm done ,,,, Ohhhh and by the way
welcome-byc.gif

I chose this one because its from Mungosummer's neighborhood, and one of a very few that comes in a clear bottle. Most come in amber or green glass.
OK so you want to hear some good names. here are some.
Mephistopheles
3 floyds dark lord
Lagunitas ipa
New Glarus moon man and fat squirrel
Great lakes brewing Edmund Fitzgerald porter.
Sierra Nevada IPA
New Belgium Fat Tire..
Bell's Two Hearted Ale..
I have to STOP... Developed a mity thirst.. Bye...........
gig.gif

[quote name="cavemanrich" Get a good enough quantity of these and skip the micro brewery,   Enjoy consuming rather then producing.. :gig
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Ha ha Rich, would be much easier but the young will have their funny ideas!

Sorry I missed the joke Cavemanrich.
Very nice list of beers, some I've tried, and some not.
Those I have were delicious and the USA brewers seem to be leading the way with lovely hoppy IPA or APA styles.
Hope you enjoyed whichever beers you chose to quench that thirst.
Cheers

sorry for a slight thread hi-jack, but this thread seems to have a slight concentration of people who may be able to point me iin the right direction;

I started a small brew 15 days ago, only about 50 pints worth, its starting gravity was 1.052 and it is currently at 0.098 as of yesterday and is showing no signs of finishing. recently i have been working my way through a load of 'kit' brews i got for xmas and all have gone very well but this one just keeps going and going. this is by far the strongest beer i have ever made but am now worried its going to be awful which is a shame as about 5 days ago i tasted a bit and it was lovely... any ideas?

@philyc I always see the positive ... Maybe you will be able to achieve outdoing Mephistopheles.. which is 15 to 17% alcohol by volume. and IBU at 80. It will carry the message to the brain quickly.
gig.gif

Edit..... Forgot to WELCOME YOU....
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Cavemanrich
Easy to be positive at 15 to 17%.
If you ever see it the craziest I've had is called Tactical Nuclear Penguin from Brewdog. I would hesitate to call it beer at 32% abv but interesting as a one off.
Their standard beers like Punk IPA are worth looking out for.
Thanks for the welcome
Cheers

sorry for a slight thread hi-jack, but this thread seems to have a slight concentration of people who may be able to point me iin the right direction;

I started a small brew 15 days ago, only about 50 pints worth, its starting gravity was 1.052 and it is currently at 0.098 as of yesterday and is showing no signs of finishing. recently i have been working my way through a load of 'kit' brews i got for xmas and all have gone very well but this one just keeps going and going. this is by far the strongest beer i have ever made but am now worried its going to be awful which is a shame as about 5 days ago i tasted a bit and it was lovely... any ideas?

Hello, I asked my son about this and this is what he said....

it might have actually finished but not look like it, be sure to chill it right down which should make the yeast stop and skim the krausen off the top. Have a look at John Palmer's website which has a lot of useful information. Also make sure you are taking the temperature before you take the gravity and adjust accordingly, as temperature greatly affects gravity. I doubt a beer that starts at 1.058 would finish below 1.010 with normal yeast so be wary of infection.

Back
Top Bottom