1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Home cooked dog/cat/other meals

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by punk-a-doodle, Apr 19, 2012.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Heya, I've seen a lot of threads about raw feeding, but none on home cooked pet meals. Anyone cook up food for their pets? How do you go about it and making it balanced?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
  3. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    To me, home cooked is harder because you are cooking out all the nutrients and then have to use supplements to try to balance it all out. Its homemade kibble IMO.

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    With raw or cooked it is very important to have a balanced diet. Here is some information on supplements as part of your learning journey...I am at that stage too. Lots of info out there and lots of diversity in opinion. I am respectfully listening to it all until I decide what to do myself.
    http://www.completeandbalanced.com/

5. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Thats what I did. I read about homecooked, prey model and BARF. To me, prey model raw made 100% more sense to me than anything. Prey model raw is pure, uncooked nutrition no supplements needed. (except fish oil. mine won't eat enough fish, and we don't have access to all grass fed meats). Otherwise, no supplements.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I cook for my dogs.

10 pounds raw weight meat, 2 cups of grain, whatever veggies I have on hand, and usually fruit. All cooked together like stew. Meat, grain, veggies differ with each batch.

There is a book on home cooked diets, written by a PHd, DMV, professor who specializes in nutrition at one of the better universities. I don't have it readily to hand to look and see what it is called. Something like Home Cooked Diets for Dogs and Cats. Maybe the author's name will come to me. It's well worth the money, if you plan on cooking for your dogs.

He recommends a crushed children's multivitamin pill, if you are worried about vitamins.

If you feed home cooked with good quality meat, the amount that you feed your dogs is miniscule compared to the volume of kibble that you are used to feeding. I added up all the calories, looked up how many calories my dogs should be eating, and my Papillons stay in good weight at 1 Tablespoon of food fed twice a day. (2 T total for the day). It sure doesn't look like much, but if I increase it, they get fat.

Edit; I like to use pumpkin or sweet potato for the carb component, when I can get it, instead of the grain.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by