Home Depot Shed...could this be a coop?

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
I need a new coop and fast. I already have 3 chickens(grown) and I bought 6 more about 3wks. ago. They are getting big fast and will need to be put outside soon. The current coop will be to small for all 9 total. I found this on the Home Depot site. I'm concerned about the cedar doors. Anyway, besides the price, would this be a good coop?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...b-_-200_OFF_savannah_sheds_050108-_-shop_now#

OR THIS ONE?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...10053&productId=100323487&N=10000003+10401016

Last edited:
On the firs one, you could replace the doors with something more chicken/friendly, add ventilation and window/s, roosts, nest boxes,and a pop-hole and have a great coop. it would be just the right size for your nine, but not allow for increase.

Not a bad price, really.

For that amount of money you could build you a nice big coop that would allow you to increase your flock at a later time, and trust me you will want more chickens.

We just put up a vinyl shed and love it!! It was well worth the money for me, a single mom who doesn't have the skill to build anything. But ours has windows which the Big Max doesn't. In fact, that is why we didn't get it. I don't know if they have a window option to buy separately though. The vinyl is nice because it can be hosed out very easily. It went up in a snap and can be disassembled easily if needed.

The first ones price included shipping, so you should find out what they sell them in the store for.

we opted for a costco shed at a very similar price and make to the first one. We are planning to mod it for our flock. Unfortunately it is still on a pallet so we can't give you any better ideas but once we start putting it together I'll have pics up here.

You could always seal and paint the cedar
smile.png

The first one would be my choice. The cedar doors are not a problem, they can be sealed if they are not already done. Cedar shavings are a problem b/c of the oils relaeased. Many woodworkers are also sensitive to cedar, but mostly from cutting it. I have cedar walls throughout my log home and I was getting sick from them until I sealed them. You can use a varathane or simply primer with a paint colour over top.
Wood sheds are nice because you can play around with them alot more. My chicken shed is a shed from home depot too and I am constantly rearranging it according to need every year...

I have one just like the first one but I think mine is just a little bit bigger, and it is working great for us. We have just begun and are thinking of all sorts of creative things to do. My husband plans on putting a vent and a window in it. I just started using it a few weeks ago. You see I am new to this chicken thing and this shed used to be my husbands until me and my chicks took it over.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom