Home for baby chickies in Texas with LOTS of fire ants

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ClothespinQueen, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ClothespinQueen

ClothespinQueen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    We're getting our first babies tomorrow (though, we both grew up with chickens on the farm, so this isn't entirely new to us) and have a little brooder in a rubbermade tote set up in the house. Our coop is under construction and should be done this weekend!

We have LOTS of fire ants. Every dead tree stump, and there are lots and lots of dead tree stumps in our area, seems to have a massive fire ant mound. We're trying to treat them but it is a huge problem.

I know that fire ants love to eat things like frogs and chickies and... So, anticipating a need to move the babies out to their new digs in a few weeks, how do you deal with the ants? Does diotomaceous earth keep them away?

I didn't grow up with fire ants and I don't think that DE was around when my hubby was a kid with chickens. Just looking for some options. We will keep them in the house for a while but I am VERY nervous about the heat lamp being on inside of the house and the fire risk from that. We've already been through a massive wild fire and rebuilt and have no desire at all to repeat the experience.

Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

Oh, and the stuff on the floor has been removed - the bar stools are there to hold the yard stick that is holding the heat lamp up...

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by