Home for new baby chicks

SouthernChickLady89

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Hello. I am looking for some advice on how I can keep my baby chicks inside? I don't have a garage or anything I can keep them in. So, is it safe/sanitary to keep them in my home? Any and all advice is greatly welcomed

In the winter or when it gets really cold I put the chicks inside a bathtub or shower. My daughter has kept them in her room before but it gets really dusty in there. So yes you can put them in the house, I would just recommend somewhere in the house where you are ok with it getting dusty or a bit stinky. :)

I have had some in the bathroom a few years ago and it does not take long to start stinking. But there are some things you can do that I didn't. I used a cardboard box and it got wet and stinky. If you go that route keep a spare box or two handy for changes. I would use the plastic tub method now. Plus you can get some cheap puppy pad liners at the dollar store. Good luck and welcome to BYC.

A lot of folks brood in their homes. Chicks do put out a lot of sticky, greasy dander though, so I highly suggest putting them somewhere that's as easy to clean as possible, i.e. a spare bathroom.

When they’re teeny tiny, they go in the laundry sink. A few years back, I bought the biggest storage container (the kind you can get at Walmart for storing toys and clothes) I could and use that. I put chicken wire over the top to keep them from flying out. They are currently in the kitchen (tile floor area). Some people use those metal livestock water troughs.

Back
Top Bottom