Home Fresh® 27 Poultry (kent)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lincolnsilkies, Sep 29, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Is this feed good we dont have much choices around here but i found a kent dealer about 20 miles down the road it has 27% protein is that to much? we also have purina feed places and dumor those are the only ones around here Thanks!!!

2. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    You can cut the protein by adding wheat or corn to the mix. For laying hens it looks a little high.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Home Fresh 27 Poultry is really meant to be mixed with corn or "scratch grain" to lower the amount of protein some.

Example if you want a 16% layer you would mix it --

Ground corn.....................1100 lbs
    Home Fresh 27 Poultry.....900 lbs

OR

Ground corn.....................11 lbs
    Home Fresh 27 Poultry.....9 lbs

Chris

4. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I can get ones with lower protein at the store but i thought it was better to have a higher protein diet for chickens? But if not i think they also sell a 16% layer feed I always mix oats, boss, and a few other grains with my crubles oh yeah out of the 3 brands of feed in your opinion which is a better feed? thanks!!!!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Which brands are you talking about?

Chris

6. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Kent, purina and dumor

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

For hens, yes, there is such a thing as too much protein. 18%-20% is enough. If you feed a 20% you can feel freer to dilute that diet with daily tosses of corn or scratch, without having any guilt of reducing their protein. If you mix the Home Fresh 27% roughly half and half with scratch, you're pretty close to being on the money.

You'd have to push a pencil as the economics of doing any of this. You'll also have to judge the real world results in your flock well-being and laying production.

As for DuMor. It is merely an unbranded Purina, packaged exclusively for TSC by Purina.

Kent has a good reputation.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I think Kent is far better than Purina, DuMOR or any of the other feed Purina puts out. [​IMG]

Country Acres, Crossroad, Animax, Homegrown, Pure Pride, Producer’s Pride, Organic Pride, Noble Goat, Farm Club, Feed Solutions, Nutri Source, Dobbin’s Delights and PMI Nutrition.

Chris

9. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by