Home from the fair in the dark

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Feb 16, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I went to the Florida state fair. Didn't think I would be there so long but it was fantastic, so much to see. Even chickens. Got home at 9pm. Went out to close the coop door. Heard baaaaak baaaaak. But it came from overhead. Well, Clarisse my BO got left out of the run and now was on the roof of the run (7ft). Didn't know if I should leave her there, but of course, I got the ladder out and could barely reach her, but I did, she was mad, but I got her to bed. So here I was in the dark, 10 pm, DH at work, on a ladder with a flashlight, and a chicken in one arm flapping her wings. Anyone as nuts as me?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I would have made my Dh come home [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I called him on his cell phone, he never answered. Hmmmmm....

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I was lying flat down in the snow today, trying to convince one of my crazy hamburgs out from *under* the coop.....[​IMG]

I was being nice and letting them out in their run even though it's not covered yet. My friends dog runs over to the fence, of course scares them, and the only breed I have that flies up that high flew up to the top of the fence (6 foot kennel panels) up onto the coop roof, and out in the yard, where of course she starts to panic [​IMG]

You were probably warmer up on the ladder though [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    during spring I have to go out at10pm to bring in the birds. The reason why was because of predators and we where using a flimsy rabbit hutch.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Way to go with the rescue. I would never be able to sleep if I didn't have them all safe in the coop. Now you don't have to worry and can sleep with the peace of mind that you got er done! [​IMG]

bigzio

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:LOL, yes, I was warmer!

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:You got that right. I could just imagine laying in bed wondering if poor Clarisse is lonely or cold, or scared. I think she loves me, never had a chicken love me before, LOL

9. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I would have done the same. I recently was on travel and because of the storms dreamnt about the chickens everynight.

Last summer I spent from 11pm-1 am tring to get my cat out of a tree.

How can you sleep when you think your furry, feathered friends aren't safe?

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm glad I'm not the only "looney" here, only pet lovers would understand. But I still doubt non chicken owners would understand, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by