Home grown meal

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by hikerchick, Sep 13, 2009.

1. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I threw together a simple meal of eggs, potatoes, peppers,and onions, and then it hit me- the eggs came from my chickens and all the rest came from my garden. The only thing I used that came from the store was some olive oil.

Not only did this meal taste good, it felt good, too.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Dont you love that? Eggs from the chickies, tomatoes and onions from the garden, home made bread. Does kind of give you a warm fuzzy, doesnt it? Now if these darn bananas would just ripen.

3. hikerchick

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I can't grown bananas in PA!!!!!

If I were to truly become a locavore I would have to move to Florida or give up citrus. I don't think I could live without navel oranges in winter.
    So, I just do the best I can.

This was my first year for home-grown potatoes. Yukon Gold from The Tasteful Garden website. They are like eating butter.

4. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    The way the economy is going it is forceing thinking people to go self- suffient. Just like our forefathers. And thats not a bad thing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. hikerchick

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Quote:I agree, but I don't kid myself into thinking I am anything close to self-sufficient. I just do the best I can and enjoy the fruits -and eggs!- of my labors.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by