1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Home-ing 3 month old chickens--how long to lock in coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggsontoast, Jan 23, 2011.

1. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    This is my first time owning chickens. Me and my kids are dying to let our 3 chickens out so we can watch them do their thing. They've been locked inside their coop for approximately 36 hours. My husband offered to wrap some chicken wire around a smallish area surrounding the coop so they could wander inside the contained area as opposed to giving them the whole yard all at once. Is this okay? Will they go back inside their coop at dusk?

2. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I left mine in the coop for two nights, that seemed enough for them to get to know where their safe haven was and they all went inside at dusk on their own. The only time I ever had a hard time getting my flock in is the day I put the final 20 feet of fence up for their large run, they couldn't find the opening in the fence when it was time to go back in, after a brief chase around the yard they finally found the fence gate and ran into their coop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I always wait about a week before I let new chickens out of their coop, just so I know that they know where home is.

4. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

I let mine stay in the coop overnight, then let them out into their run... Make sure they know how to get back into their coop! You have to train them to walk up the ramp. (If you have one)

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    They will go in, use a long stick or a broom handle to extend your arm and just walk toward the coop, the the girls between you and the coop. Walk slow, tapping the ground and saying "hut, hut" if you want to get them in before dark.

36 hours is long enough.

MrsK

6. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    My dad accidentally let my two chickens out the next day. I just got them from a friend the day before. They didn't miss a beat. They enjoyed eating greens and bugs around the yard and returned to the coop to lay. I rushed home when I found out! (after hyperventilating!) They were happy to see me.

I would have waited a few days before letting them out WITH supervision.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I like to keep 'em in for a week, but sometimes give up after the third day. [​IMG]

8. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    I let them out today but kept them in a large run. We had such an enjoyable day watching them explore their area. They went back in on their own about 5:00 pm just as dusk started falling. Such smart girls!!! Locked them in with a banana treat and some water. Glad it was so easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by