Home made baby food. Advice/insight please!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Anyone out there ever made their own baby food? I'm strongly considering it but I'm not sure how it would work... I understand the basics (steaming vegis first, etc)

I saw the add for the 'baby bullet' and loved what I saw but they're $80! Granted they're doing a buy one get one free thing right now but still! I found another one that should do the job and is cheaper ($26 for one) but it doesn't come with the cups and stuff. This is the one I'm looking at. Any advise is welcome! Oh, and I'm only 18 weeks right now so I just want to get it changed on the registry if anyone has had a bad experience with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/DEX-Products-...TF8&coliid=I1CXZRJAH47RAV&colid=1ZPL9VB4SWLJL

Thanks All!

2. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    That's silly. They're making a buck off the new parents!

Ask for a regular 4-cup food processor and use the extra $40 to buy lots of small tupperware containers.

You can use it to make babyfood and anything else you're cooking.

3. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Go get a copy of 'Let's Have Healthy Children' by Adell Davis.

The stick blender/food chopper combos work really well, that way you are not making puree all the time. Ice cube trays to freeze the food in.

I would get the packages of already chopped meast for stir fry's and cook them in my cast iron pan, deglaze the pan with water and add all to the food chopper.

Frozen berries and fruits are a great addition to the ceral/yogurt combo and are so easy to work with!

If you are out and about, carrying the frozed ice cubes in lottle tupperware containers is easy, and you can always get hot water for defrosting......

Use the steaming liquid to thin your puree in the ice cube trays.....

You can use the whole grain cereals as your cereal, just cook it up like you normally would and freeze a tray or two...... if you think it is too chunky you can always pre-chop it before cooking so it is a finer texture.....

It is really easy once you start; I really do not understand why people insist on buying that pre-packaged garbage.....

Good luck and kudos to you for making your own baby food!

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree that a stick blender/food processor will work just fine. Frankly, with my kids we didn't even bother with that. I took whatever food we were having and made sure it was cooked enough to mash up with a fork. It wasn't a superfine puree but my kids did fine with it.

5. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I've never had good luck with stick blenders. But yeah, with the food processor, once they were past the "add one food at a time to make sure they're not allergic or something" phase, we just stuck whatever we were having in the food processor. They pretty quickly got a taste for things like curried lentils and rice... Both kids are still pretty adventurous eaters.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thank you! I switched my 'processor' on my list over to Cuisinart Smartstick hand blender. It looks really easy to clean and has a lot of rave reviews. 123 Five Star ratings!

I'll make sure to keep checking this thread, so if anyone else has tips or anything...

Again, Thanks!! [​IMG]

7. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
  8. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Wow, I love how people do not READ.

Stick blender food chopper COMBO. The stick blender comes OFF and has an attachment like a food processor.

No kidding a stick blender does not have the guts to chop some of that food....... [​IMG]

You do NOT need to spend a mint on a Kitchenaid, or Cuisinart, or something from Williams Sonoma; I have GE that I have been using for well over 10 years and it works just fine. Made food for 2 of my 4 kids with this one....

Good luck.

9. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I got my food processor at Target. Love it. Just don't get a too-large one - they seem like a good idea but then they don't work for smaller amounts of food. The best part for me is that I can make grown-up food with it too - like homemade mayonnaise with my backyard eggs!

I've never had much luck, like I said, with the sticks - even for things they're supposed to be good for. But that's just me.

Anyways - whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll be fine. Your baby will be better off than 9/10 of American babies by getting your own homemade food. Just don't bother with the "baby" versions of them - those are overpriced and overly specialized, imho.

10. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Sarcastic much?
    Instead of complaining about people, how about a link to what you are talking about. That would be actually, you know, useful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by