Home made Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Attack Chicken, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a question on home made incubaters if anyone has any. Since none of the stores around us have bators at this time we decided to make one because I really need to hatch these eggs. Currenty we have a cardboard box with a 60 watt light bulb in it, with a piece of glass covering it, and the temp is about 100 degrees the last I checked. There are no eggs in it yet because we were testing it to see the temp. Tomarrow I'm going to put a bowl of water and the eggs in another bowl inside with sawdust in it(its what the vet said to do). Does it sound like I'm going to do everything right? These eggs are very special to me.

2. tn.lou

tn.lou Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Dandridge,Tennessee
    Go to learning center on the top left side of BYC home page.Then go chicken How Too pages then go to the bottom of page they have several homemade bator plans

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I would worry about the cardboard holding the temp as effectively as wood or styrofoam. Any flucuations in the room temp will affect your bator temp.

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Would a plastic tub work better?

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Something that is insulated that would hold the temp constant would be better, like a cooler.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well I though my school was going to let me borrow 1 of there 4 incubators since they have let me borrow more expensive things in the past. But now I don't have the time to make a better one (btw nice cooler incubator rooster-red). I wish I could find someplace that was selling incubators, but I'm out of luck. I guess all I could do is try it with the cardboard or a plastic storage tub.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  7. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Why not try a styrofoam cooler? they are cheap and easy to find. [​IMG]

8. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    That igloo bator look like only the front eggs would hatch or it would keep u up all night turning the eggs? MayB a story about it if u have hatched in it b4.[​IMG]

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    *L*A*G* :

That igloo bator look like only the front eggs would hatch or it would keep u up all night turning the eggs? MayB a story about it if u have hatched in it b4.[​IMG]

4 hatches so far have worked fine.

I put a 2x4 under one end of the cooler, just switch it to the other end to turn the eggs.

[​IMG]

10. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:How do you plan to regulate the temp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by