Home made bator ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by josh, Jan 21, 2009.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    My temps are 98.5 to 101.5 will this be ok or do I need to do something to get the heat closer together?

It is a home built. Built out of a Mini Fridge. Has a fan and a turner. What can I do to get temps closer to 99.5? Put in jars of water? I am running a 100 watt bulb the light and fan are in the bottom. Would it be better to put in 2 smaller bulbs? One in the bottom and one on the top rack?

2. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i dont know what to do, but put the bator in the bator contest! good luck!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Air temp or Wiggler temp? I would leave it alone if its air temp. Two bulbs would be better than one. Try different wattage bulbs an see how it works.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It could also be that your fan is underpowered. Using a better fan helped even out one of my 'bators.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I made me a bator using old woodden nightstand. Egg turner fits in it.
    Instead of using 1 bulb I use a string of 10 Christmas lights. Not the tiny ones,but the ones that have 5 or 7 watt bulbs connected in parallel for 120V (Meaning if one burns off other are on without affecting much the whole operation) .
    I run them through light dimmer for better heat control, but if you have good thermostat it is not necessary.

By using more than one bulb you get much better heat distribution.
    I believe this is the most reliable source of heat for incubator.

I have thermostat used for reptiles in aquariums. It is a better quality thermostat than some used in commercial incubators, will keep the temp with no more than 1 degree F fluctuation, works great for me.

2 computer case fans run from variable voltage plugs (speed control).
    It is better to have larger diameter fan running at slower speed than small one (better air movement and heat distribution.

With my own eggs I always get 85% + hatches, with shipped eggs it's different story, but in this case my bator is not the cause of poor hatches.

My bator beats the styrofoam bators pants down, but I still use my Little Giant as a hatcher to keep my bator clean.

I would like to compare working of my bator to Brinsea or Lyon, but I do not have one of those.

6. campbellhatchery

campbellhatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    Quote:Depends on what you expect as a hatch rate. If you don't mind a 50% hatch rate you're fine. Every degree of difference can delay hatch times by 5.9 hours and potentially kill an embryo. If you can keep it between 98.5 and 100.5 thats pretty darn close. I'd nudge the temp down between1 degree and a 1/2 degree and up your fan capacity and that should get you there.

7. campbellhatchery

campbellhatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    Quote:Using 2 smaller bulbs would be more for precaution unless you spaced them out somewhat. 2 bulbs on either side would distribute heat more evenly, and if 1 were to fail, you have a backup.

8. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Quote:Wiggler

9. josh

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I am not using the computer fan. I bought a small fan to go in here.

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The closer the thermostat is to the bulb the quicker it cycles making for a smaller temperature swing but it takes longer to get back up to a stable temp after ya open the incubator. You could also add rocks or jars of water for thermal mass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by