home made bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DragunzGirl, Aug 27, 2010.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    ok i made a home made chicken bator cause i was tired of useing my reptile one for chicken eggs.

ok well i found a site to make mine by, Gopher-Bator also found chick bator

I kind of mixed them both and made mine. well any way i useing the Water heater thermostat. There is a computer fan also in there and the bulb. I put the thermostat around 100F i think, but the temp keeps going at least up to 106F and than when the bulb goes off it goes down to like 89F or so..... So i am cufused on that. Maybe the bulb is to much watt for the bator? I useing a 40watt.

Here is a photo of it. I am going to add some wire in there so the chicks wont be able to get to the light, also going to add a bottom part in there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Do you have any way to put some foil in front of the bulb to block the direct heat to the eggs. Then the fan can help circulate the heat. Also move your little thermometer from under the bulb because it will diffinitely be hotter there. Just a suggestion. Also, why not join the incubator contest. You did the work, so give it a try.

3. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    oh wow ok thanks lots, ya i was going to put some wire up in front of the bulb so chicks cant reach it when they hatch, so ya i can put the foil up to [​IMG] never thought of that lol. and mmm a contest [​IMG] i liked that sound i'll look into that.

also i did move the little thermometer from under the light over some, and i put a digi thermometer
    in there, thats what im reading the temps from. This thermometer also works good cause its the one i use on my reptile incubator.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Here's the link for the current contest https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316076 Also, if you look on my BYC page you can see how what I was talking about. I used metal AC duct-tape 'cause it's foil on one side and tape on the other so I was able to just stick it to the wire divider.

5. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    Quote:thank you for the link, i'll get my bator fully done and than post it up [​IMG]

also ya im going to fix up the wire tomorrow [​IMG]

6. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Oh, the contest ends on 09/12 and you have to put your entry on a BYC page. Good luck!

7. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    kk, thanks for the info, i'll have it done tomorrow night than i can take pics and post it up [​IMG] I put some foil in front of the bulb at moment and its helping with the temp's some so thats good news for me.

8. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Glad to hear it helped. I'm no expert, but that's how mine is and from the pictures it looks like you used the same type of thermostat I did.

9. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Do you have holes drilled in your thermostat housing?? I had the same problem with my bator before I put my first batch of eggs in. Someone recommended drilling holes.

I put three 1/8" holes in the front of the thermostat, in the black housing. The person who suggested it actually took the housing off first, but I think that needlessly compromises the stuff inside. So just carefully and slowly drill the holes, as soon as it is all the way through the housing I back out.

This allows for the components inside to cool down quicker so you have less of a variance in the temperature, about one degree at the most.

10. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I didn't do that with mine and it works fine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by