Home made butter!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We just made home made butter tonight and it is delicious! It took no more then 1/2 hour and it was WELL worth it! We trying to go healthy and this was super fast and can be made every other day easily enough. Now our next project is to only buy beef from grass fed cow farmers near us [​IMG] No more store meats for us. We already raise our own chickens which will be butchered in three weeks. Were getting there! [​IMG]

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I wish I could make some butter! It is illegal here to buy/sell raw milk! I'm surrounded by dairy cows and no farmer will sell raw milk for fear of prosecution.

I may have to stop on the side of the road, crawl through the fence, milk a cow and flee the scene [​IMG] There is something really wrong with our food supply anymore!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We just used Heavy Whipping Cream from the store. You can get organic too. It made fantastic butter [​IMG] All you need is that and salt and you have butter [​IMG] We are planning on getting organic cream from grass fed cows for our next batch to see if there are any differences. Even the stuff made from the cream we got tastes way better then the store butter. My hubby made two pieces of toast and put store butter on 1/2 and home made butter on the other and I could tell a difference right away.

4. bigkford

bigkford Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Quote:What about a barter? They give you the milk in enchange for making butter for you and them? You can also make yogurt, ice cream, sour cream any of your dairy products. That way there is no buying or selling, just swapping your talents for theirs. Its not hard to milk a cow, fast.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I've never had the chance to try homemade butter.. [​IMG] It sounds great!

6. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Raw milk is soooo yummy! I have not even bothered making butter though since we pretty much inhale the milk we have.

Red you are truely missing out of one of the finer things in life!

Homemade bread warm with some handmade butter on it and a nice big glass of fresh milk.... a little bit of heaven. [​IMG]

7. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:Ive heard of some people that say they sell it for "animal use only". There use to be a lady where I lived that would milk her cows and then leave it in a little frig that was out in an open barn. She put an empty jar in there and people left tips. You know for being able to get the milk to feed to there..umm..cats, yea thats it, it was there cats. [​IMG] Im not sure if its illegal here or not. To me thats just silly that the gov. can do that to you. [​IMG]

8. bigkford

bigkford Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Ok Redhen, I gave you the skin off the deep fried birds. Homemade butter is better than that. Like the other post, homemade bread smeared in homemade butter then topped with homemade grape jelly, big ol glass of milk!!! Who needs bakery.

9. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I was thinking strawberry jam myself..... [​IMG]

10. bigkford

bigkford Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    elderberry coes to mind too. And I don't care for sweets. But there is something about homemade bread and butter hat just has to make you eat jellies or jams with it. Same with a good chunk of cornbread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: