Home made butter!!

Quote:
That's where we got the idea. My hubby got a subscription for me... I love him!

Fried eggs (farm fresh of course) in the butter this morning and put on fresh buttered home made toast. THE BEST EGG SANDWICH I EVER ATE!
big_smile.png

Man we are really getting ripped off by the food industry if you ask me. The stuff from the store never tasted like this.

Making butter is something we do with the kids around here. Best tip is to let your heavy whipping cream warm up to room temp before you start. Then each kid gets a gladware tub with cream in it, and the shaking commences! Each child gets to take their own homemade butter home to keep. My DD begs to make it all the time. I think the fun for them is getting to eat something you made yourself.

Last edited:
Quote:
Redhen, I haven't had any since I was a boy in Kentucky (about ten years ago + or - a few centuries). I used to churn it for my grandmother. Ain't nuttin like it. I can still remember how delicious it was on homemade biscuits, it and my grandmother's jelly. Another delicious thing from churning is the real, honest-to-goodness buttermilk. Wish I had a churn; you've made me HUNGRY.

EDIT: Now that made me all sentimental thinking about my grandmother who lived on a farm with no electricity and no indoor plumbing. She knew everything about everything, slopping hogs, broody hens, caring for chicks, managing the farm and tenant farmers. Like so many other Kentucky women, she truly was the one of the smartest women I ever knew.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is what we did. "Ultra pasteurized" actually. Just popped it in the KitchenAid and ran the paddle attachment as fast as we could without splashing all over.

We're searching for raw milk (legal to sell in WI in some very limited cases), grass fed pasteurized, or at least organic cream for the next batch. According to one video on YouTube, if you even can just get "Pasteurized" instead of "Ultra Pasteurized" it makes a difference.

BTW, some states are like WI where it is illegal have exceptions. For details see What's happening with Real Milk?

The article in Mother Earth News was right though, even the most commercial cream makes better butter than what I've ever bought in the store. Can't wait to make some from pastured cows!

ETA: Next new experience is going to be home made cheese!

Last edited:
All this talk about homemade butter reminds me that I need to make some homemade ice cream and yogurt. And, then there's homemade goat cheese the best on the planet and soooooo easy and way cheaper than store bought.

Think I will try my hand at the butter - haven't done that yet.

I'd rather omit salt if I can. And if it is too bland, which I doubt, add them before it is packaged up.

So all the ingredients I need, are ultra pat. heavy whipped cream and KitchenAid mixer, right?????????

I will have to make some homemade butter!

Quote:
Redhen, I haven't had any since I was a boy in Kentucky (about ten years ago + or - a few centuries). I used to churn it for my grandmother. Ain't nuttin like it. I can still remember how delicious it was on homemade biscuits, it and my grandmother's jelly. Another delicious thing from churning is the real, honest-to-goodness buttermilk. Wish I had a churn; you've made me HUNGRY.

EDIT: Now that made me all sentimental thinking about my grandmother who lived on a farm with no electricity and no indoor plumbing. She knew everything about everything, slopping hogs, broody hens, caring for chicks, managing the farm and tenant farmers. Like so many other Kentucky women, she truly was the one of the smartest women I ever knew.

You did it again Joe - brought "memoires" back to me, too. I used to sit on the porch with my grandmother and take turns at the churn, pumping the handle up and down. It was tedious but was something shared, a moment together between generations.

When it was done, she would plop it out on a large marble slab, once a headstone, I think. She kneaded it and added salt, then blocked it into wooden boxes layered with wax paper. These went into the spring cellar, as I recall, which was always very cold...

Quote:

You did it again Joe - brought "memoires" back to me, too. I used to sit on the porch with my grandmother and take turns at the churn, pumping the handle up and down. It was tedious but was something shared, a moment together between generations.

When it was done, she would plop it out on a large marble slab, once a headstone, I think. She kneaded it and added salt, then blocked it into wooden boxes layered with wax paper. These went into the spring cellar, as I recall, which was always very cold...

A spring cellar at the bottom of the hill that came from the cave just above it where we stored kraut and other goodies. The same spring where we went to get buckets of drinking water and lots of buckets filled to the brim for clothes washing in the big, black kettle over a fire to heat the water before adding my grandmother's homemade soap? That spring cellar?

Quote:

A spring cellar at the bottom of the hill that came from the cave just above it where we stored kraut and other goodies. The same spring where we went to get buckets of drinking water and lots of buckets filled to the brim for clothes washing in the big, black kettle over a fire to heat the water before adding my grandmother's homemade soap? That spring cellar?

Pretty much. I was afraid of the spring cellar, as it was dark, dank and spooky. But good things always seemed to come from it...

Back
Top Bottom