1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

home made chicken lawn fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickanddoglvr, Oct 12, 2010.

1. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I was reading that organic lawn fertilizer is really good for the lawn. Any homemaid chicken poo fertilizer? I tryed some with horse poo but it didnt work very well.

2. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I mix all my bedding, manure, coffee grounds, eggshells, leaves, etc into the compost pile and then use it after it has turned to compost. It works great in the garden. I haven't used it on the lawn, but I bet it would work fine.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You have to let manure - chicken or horse - compost before using it.
    It is "hot" when fresh & will burn young plants before the urea breaks down into nitrogen.

Once you let the pile sit - six months or so - it turns into the most beautiful black, loamy compost you could ever want. A Master Gardener friend calls my pile Black Gold.

The only time I use fresh manure is in the Fall. Once all the plants have died back, I pile it on the flower & veggie beds to compost over the Winter.
    In Spring it gets tilled in and grows things like CRAZY!

I know you are supposed to turn a compost pile, but I never do.
    I just use a pitchfork to lift off the top layer and get to the Good Stuff beneath.
    Then the top layer becomes the new bottom layer & the process stasrts over again.
    This works for me as my compost is always full of earthworms & steams in the Spring.
    There is also a layer of ash to show me how hot it got while breaking down.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's all about how much you use over how much ground.

Chicken manure is the only fertilizer my yard gets. I keep most of my birds in chicken tractors which I move daily. This means they leave one day's worth of manure behind each time I move the tractors. In the warm season you can see a definite green trail where the tractors have passed over a week or two after the fact. Usually anyway. Hasn't rained in over two weeks so nothing is growing much right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by