Home made chicken plucker!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rehric00, Aug 29, 2013.

1. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi all!

I am in the process of planning to build my own chicken plucker. I have three plastic 55gal buckets and I plan on using on of those. I also have a bike rim that I plan on using as a pulley system. I will order the "fingers" online. My only concern as of now is the motor (I am talking to a guy about getting a cheap washing machine motor to rig up) and the feather plate, which I have tossed up some ideas.

Can you guys share some pics and ideas of your pluckers?

I have ideas in my head, but I am not sure how to put it all together. I am trying to stay as low budget as possible.

I have not started yet, but plan to this fall. Thanks!!

2. thriftyfarmer

thriftyfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Have you discovered Herrick Kimball and his Whizbang Plucker? Herrick is one of my favorite Agrarian Bloggers. Not only does he sell the plans for building a chicken plucker, he also sells the hard to find parts. If you have any questions he is usually easy to reach via email.

Check out his Whizbang Chicken Plucker Website here: (This is the site you should look at first)

Anyone can build a Whizbang Chicken Plucker

Here is the Book on Amazon: (A little cheaper)

Anyone Can Build a Tub-Style Mechanical Chicken Plucker

Here is another one of his books on Building a Scalder:

Anyone Can Build a Whizbang Chicken Scalder

If you are interested in reading about modern day Homesteading and backyard farming, this guy has a lot of reading to offer.

Check out his website here:

The Deliberate Agrarian

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by