Home Made Chicken Pluckiers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DaKid, Sep 2, 2008.

1. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Ok 2nd time posting, not sure if this is the spot to post this But ;

here goes;
    Chicken pluckier

Been reading and searching about a non commercial or a so call a home part timer farmer chicken pluckier something that won’t cost and arm –n- leg , I seen a few topic’s --about a home made chicken pluckier which is run on a drill or a buffer , I also seen wizbanger and that there selling a book on how to builded ur’ own ......has any one ever thought about making one out of an old washer machine ............it has the drum...........it has the motor and the whole outer shell and can be pulled apart to install the fingers to the drum , not sure about the RPM of the motor but I’m sure it could down size to the right RPM .....ANY IMPUT, thoughts or if anyone has build one from a old washer would be greatly appreciated .......

Big Al.

2. Verboten

Verboten Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Hello!

I think that using the drum from a washing machine might be too large in diameter. You would need a fortune in rubber fingers to make a nice pattern on it. The bearings and drive system might also not be what you would expect.

My very old beast of a plucker has a drum that is about 12 inches in diameter and I believe that newer home-type models are smaller than that. I could measure the pulleys and drum to give you an idea of the surface speed if you would like.

I thought that the idea below (from countryside magazine) was interesting and attainable without alot of tools or expense. It might be better to start out with something simple and work up from there.
    http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/90/90-1/Ray_Kreuziger.html

Best of luck to you! Crack that washer open and see what you can find! It is fun and you might find stuff that you can use.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  4. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Thanks for Da input , and yes been checking it all out on da net , -n- books . I will be building a mini plucker like thats been posted looks greats and seems to work fine fo bird at a time , but I'm looking to do 2 or 3 at a time , so I will be looking into this more an az
    Mid- fall / winter project I will being to try my quest at making something out of the main shell and drum of a washer or dryer . not saying I place fingers all da way up da drum and slow the drum speed down some how , but a good way to do at lease 2-4 chickens or 2 good size turkeys , master minds at work once again, ----my wife hate it when I’m in this mode LOL

Thanks ya

Al.

5. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    Much cheaper and easier to work with than a dryer drum is a food grade plastic barrel. Some folks have used the bottom of the tub as the 'featherplate' as described in the Whizbang version. The bottom plate is what spins so you would have to cut the bottom off the metal tub using a dryer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by