1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**Home made egg candler. Post your pics**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have had people asking about homade egg candlers, so to clear up all questions and posts. Post pics of your home made egg candler. [​IMG] Please post your pics. [​IMG] You may post pics. of you using your candler also. [​IMG] I hope this clears up all of your questions.

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Here it is! Just a plain square box with a hole in the top and a cord attached to a lamp socket inside and a flood light(could use any light but flood light was brighter) it gets hot so you cannot leave the egg up on the hole too long. Also have to find a modification for quail eggs!

Only thing I would do differently would be put a toggle switch on the cord so you can shut it off or turn it on with a toggle instead of crawling to unplug and plug it in

[​IMG]

3. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    thanks for the very quik reply. Awsome set up.

4. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I have a popcorn tin that my husband cut a hole in the bottom. Then I just place it over a bright flashlight. I do have to be careful with the eggs on that metal edge though. It works!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  5. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    very nice. Thats a big flash light.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    marytoast and rebelcowboy those are my style [​IMG]

8. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    people need to be able to see your different styles of candling. So share your pics with all of BYC [​IMG]

9. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I dont have a pic, but its pretty simple. I used a clamp light with a cardboard box over it that had a small hole cut in it, besides being a fire hazard if left on, it worked great. But, I finally broke down and just bought a candler.

10. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I just use a small led flashlight and hold the egg cupped in my hand with the light on the bottom. Works fine for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by