Home Made Feeders/Waterers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Jul 1, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Hi,

I need some ideas of home made simple feeders and waters, please post pics.

Thanks,
    Happy-Hens

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If you look at my BYC page you can see an example of each.

3. angry gary

angry gary Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Front Royal, Va
    here is a picture of my homemade feeder. it doesn't get any easier or simpler than this! less than 5 minutes start to finish. the feeder is the pvc pipe in the left side of the pic. a 3" pvc pipe screwed into a 5" pvc endacap. then a screw hole near the top to hang it from and VOILA!!! instant feeder.it hangs on a wood screw and lifts right off to refill and clean......................i stole the idea from someone on this site.

AG

[​IMG]

4. Speed

Speed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    The Berwicks
    I made a simple feeder out of scrap plywood, it is nothing more than a thin tall box with a small box on the bottom that the food feeds down into.
    you can kinda see the watering can i made beside the feeder, its just a 2 gallon bucket (dunkin donuts freeby) that sits lid side down in a shallow pan (3 bucks at walmart, in the pet department) I drilled (2) 3/8" holes about 1" from the top of the bucket, just fill it snap the lid on and flip it upside down in the pan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. smeek1

smeek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    I got my idea for my feeder from someone on this site and I love it! It is 4"pvc, I painted the vertical parts[​IMG]

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How do like the Little Giant auto-waterer?
    [​IMG]
    I built this feeder out of scraps I had laying around, it holds over 50# Using it for a month now with Zero waste
    [​IMG]
    Waterer made from a 4" sanitary T, a couple of end caps, some 4" pipe and a toilet flush valve. Woks like a charm
    [​IMG]

7. smeek1

smeek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    very classy waterer and feeder! the little giant is superb. I had a little trouble getting it set up right but since then it works like a charm. I never think about water! My feeder holds quite a bit...I only have 4 in my flock and I would say I refill it about once a month.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I got the little giant a couple of months ago and adjusted it as light as possible... it still ran over. I called Miller Mfg. and they sent me some new valves which I promtly installed and still ran over. Called them back and they sent me a whole new stem assembly, installed that and it STILL ran over. I told the girl that it must be the brass post was not bored deep enough but she told me she had done all she could do. I found a site that sold parts, bought a post and solved the problem. I now have it installed in the coop (the little sun room off the coop) with a wire floor in case it decides to act up again.
    Edit: The feeder mounts on the outside of the coop with just the tray part in the coop as to not take up valuable space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by