Home Made Feeders!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by firem3, May 5, 2008.

1. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    Things being the way they are, prices of everything out the roof, I try to build instead of buy most things I use. That being said I need some designs for homemade feeders, nest boxes, and waterers. I'm sure the info will benefit us all. Thanks to all you who have helped so many with your information and words of encouragement.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just use bowels for waterers, and large cans with a pan attached to the bottom for feeders. 5 gallon buckets can make nests.

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The feeders at our farm store were very reasonably priced -- not sure they can be built as cheaply but if you have scrap wood, I would simply make a trough of sorts..maybe a small flat piece on the bottom with the sides going at an angle?

Here is an example of a single nest box -- looks pretty simple to make.

https://www.ruralking.com/Store/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=chicken nest box

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Firem3....I also use bowls and a kiddie pool for water in several pens. I have bought the metal and plastic waterers, mainly for the brooders....cant have a bowl in there with babies...but for feed...I just used a big old bucket...drilled a hole in the bottom, attached a large pan with an eye bolt...ran a rope through the eye bolt, and WALAH! A hanging feeder! Its not fancy, by no means...but the chickens dont seem to mind...there is feed in it...thats all they care about. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

5. kuntrycritters

kuntrycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    NE Arkansas
    Okay, I really am a cheap person here...lol. I only have a few hens/rooster and one of mine is an egg eater...and I had to seperate her from the others. She kept wasting her feed and it is TOOO expensive for that... So, by accident I came across this feeder. It wouldnt work for a bunch of chickens but for one or two it would work.

There was a coupon on the inside of a Dr Pepper bottle that I wanted, so I took and cut it out in a rectange around the coupon. When i got done I just laid the bottle on my counter to clean up the mess I had made...thats when it hit me. I took a piece of a two x four and screwed the soda bottle cap to the block, and screwed the other end of the soda bottle to another piece of 2x4, made sure it would sit level, put feed in it and she eats out of it just fine without wasting her food. Here's a couple pictures. It is cheap, but works for what I want it for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE that bottle idea! It would definitely prevent mine from billing out all their food and pooping in it all day : sigh : I'm going to try that!

I made a large waterer from the plans that were here ..um...somewhere. I took a large paint bucket, drilled holes at the top, washed it thoroughly, filled it halfway, put the top on nice and tight, then tipped it upside down into a planter base. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! No mess, no shavings in the water, and plenty of water for awhile. I put in a food grade growth preventative and no slimy gunk either. I have heard a tablespoon of bleach in the water may do the same, I am unsure of this part.

7. markb

markb Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    the user s6bee sugested this feeder to me. I made it for under $5. and i have parts left over for another one.

[​IMG]

I used s6bee picture, hope they dont mind.

8. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Great ideas!What size pvc is that? I like the thinking outside of the box...

9. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I came home with 3 turkey chicks. It wasn't planned so I had to make do with stuff I already had.
    I made a waterer from an old clear plastic baby bottle and a foal nipple. I cut the tip of the nipple off, but only to where the nipple is rounded and put water and a small marble in the bottle then turned it upside down and used a thin metal clothes hanger to make a holder for it.
    Those little chicks went right to it and have been attached to it ever since. I can monitor how much they are drinking and it stays clean and clear.

They were so cute to watch that I took a short video clip and put it on youtube if anyone wants to see.

Loved the pvc feeder by the way, actually they were all very cool ideas. I bet there are some other things we can use around the house.....

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Here are a couple of my feeders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by