Home-made Incubator (Di-humidifier?)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MrNappy, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    I have a di-humidifier or humidifier i can set humidity and temp, also it could be used as a forced air.

So i was wondering can i just put the eggs in a chicken egg carton and manually turn and just leave it like that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max temp is 32 C, which is about 90 F. Can i just put the carton above the vent, and turn manually?
    It can easily go 45-55% Humidity. My house is usually 21 C and at max it goes to 57% Humidity.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    90 degrees is not warm enough for incubation. 57% humidity will work for incubation, but at lock down, you will need more moisture. I do not think you could possibly incubate eggs on top of this unit with any luck. Have you tried going on craig's list, ebay or even amazon to see if you can find a small, low cost incubator?

3. James Marie

James Marie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Louisiana
    I agree...90 degrees is not warm enough for proper development......you might get by on the humidity to start....but also agree more humidity would be needed for lockdown.... but the temp. is just too low....maybe try a WTB add on Craigslist in your area for a incubator also....Twocrows always has great advice in this section...nothing beats experience...

4. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Ya if i want a incubator from ebay or amazon i would need to buy the whole brooder set, because i don't have a heat lamp or brooder. And i also need help on how to rotate eggs without a turner, (ya i'm a newb). On kijiji this guy selling for $60 just the incubator but i messaged him like 3 times and he didn't respond. Another one selling $150 for just Hova Bator alone, too expensive. One guy selling Exo Terra, but i'll have to transform that, and it doesn't have humidity option. Also, can you put pictures of turning eggs?

(Mostly on kijiji and craigslist people selling antique incubator for like $200)

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks James Marie...your knowledge is unbeatable around here as well. [​IMG]

MrNappy, take a good look at an egg. It has a pointy end and a rounder end. The rounder end is where you want the air sac to develop so the embryo has air to breath at hatch time. The chick will get into place during lock down and poke thru the inner membrane into this air chamber when he is ready to start zipping out of the egg.

The idea behind rotating eggs is the give the developing embryo new nutrients each time the egg is turned. The eggs should be turn at least 3 times a day or more.

So, all this being said, you want to set eggs rounder end upright, either in an egg carton, or rounder end tilted up in the egg turners. Before setting the eggs, hold the egg up right, round end up and take a pencil and put an X on one side in the middle of the egg, and an O on the other side. Place the egg in the egg carton or egg turner. What you want to do is turn this egg, clock wise a half turn so the X is on the other side, a 180 degree turn. The next time the egg is turned, you would turn it counter clock wise, 180 degrees the other way. The next time the egg is turned, it will be in the same spot it started in, and so on. Do not turn the egg fully around 360 degrees. 180 degrees or a bit less each time.

To incubate eggs properly, you will need an egg incubator. If you google around on line or even check these archives, you can read up on home made incubators. I have never made one myself, but it can be done. Maybe this would be easier and cheaper for you to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by