Home made Incubator does this work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plymouthrockFarm123, Jul 1, 2008.

1. plymouthrockFarm123

plymouthrockFarm123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    hi i am try to hatch some chicken eggs and i dont have an incubator so i bought a 30 watt bulb that produces 35 to 40 degrees celcius of heat. Will that be enough to hatch them? I also need to know how to make it humid enough?

HELP

thank you

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Did you make an incubator? If you have a fan in it, the temperature needs to be 99.5 - 100.5. If you don't have a fan about 101-102. Humidity should be 40-45% for the first 17 days. On day 18 stop turning the eggs and raise the humidity to about 70%.

3. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    i usually turn the eggs 4-6 times every day or when they get too hot and how do i make it humid? would a regular household fan work?

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You add a dish of water or something soaked in water.... the dish is easier to regulate. The larger the surface area... the higher the humidity. I use a small bowl... if I fill it high where it is wider, I get a slightly higher humidity... if it gets low.. it drops by about 15 degrees or so.

Do you have an incubator??? They need to be in a controlled environment.... a cooler, a wooden box, etc... but they also need to have vents so that oxygen can get in.. they are living and breathing..... even the egg.

There are still air and forced air incubators. You just have to adjust the temps accordingly. Search the forum for more posts on this. Everything you need to know is there somewhere.

5. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Yeah, you really should give more details on whether you have an incubator or not? Oh, household fan, good luck on that. Everybody generally use a pc fan to circulate air in there incubator.

6. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    no i dont have an incubator just a lamp that has a 30 watt bulb which produces between 90 and 102 degrees F just enough heat to hatch an egg. A website said you could mist the egg with a spray bottle will that work??

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You never know... I have heard some strange egg stories... but highly doubtful [​IMG] The hen sits on the eggs pretty much non-stop during incubation and that provides a warm, humid environment that doesn't really change. Just a small draft will change the environment for your eggs regardless of the lightbulb [​IMG] They really need to be closed off (for the most part... they do need some fresh air) and kept in a stable environment

8. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    You need constant humidity and the only way to contain that is a container or a plastic box. I don't know anyone here who spray there eggs. You can try it and tell us.

9. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    ok i can do that i am only 12 and this is my experiment i have a bowl that i am going to put socks in to make it comfy then aim the lamp on it and keep it at 35-40 degrees C then mist it but not make it wet and turn them 4-6 times daily and hope all goes well!

10. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I wish you luck... sometimes nature can surprise us. Let us know how it goes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by